Sep 21, 2013, 6:01 PM EST
A quickie description of Sporting Kansas City’s first goal Saturday in the driving rain in Toronto: Uncontested cross, uncontested header across goal, uncontested header from six yards for a goal.
It was ridiculously easy at every stop for SKC. On the road!
And if that wasn’t evidence enough of why Toronto FC remains one of the worst clubs in MLS (Thanks, D.C. United!… ) then the visitors’ second goal sure sealed the deal.
C.J. Sapong scored both goals for Sporting Kansas City in the club’s 2-1 victory, one on either side of intermission, and his second header was as easy as the first. Yes, conditions were awful at BMO Field, but that’s no excuse for Mark Bloom’s jayvee-level inattention, allowing the SKC striker to slip inside with ease and push a second goal past Toronto ‘keeper Joe Bendik.
There were simply too many culprits at fault on the first SKC goal to assign blame. Suffice to say, on both strikes, elementary defending took holiday. And “want-to” as well.
Sapong’s first came in the 18th minute off Graham Zusi’s original cross. Chance Myers’ had the centering ball (also uncontested) in the 53rd minute for Sapong’s second goal of the wet afternoon.
Here are both Sporting Kansas City goals from BMO Field:
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 0
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"