Sep 21, 2013, 1:49 PM EDT
Huge sighs of relief emanated from Stamford Bridge on Saturday afternoon, as Brazilian playmaker Oscar opened the scoring in the second half.
The Brazilian youngster had been preferred to Spaniard Juan Mata, and he duly paid back his managers faith in him by putting Chelsea 1-0 up in the 51st minute.
The Blues had come up against a stubborn Fulham side in the first half of their West London Derby, but soon after the interval Chelsea piled on the pressure with four straight corners from the right hand side. And eventually that proved too much for Fulham to handle, as Oscar tapped home from inside the six-yard box to give Chelsea a 1-0 lead.
A cross broke over to Andre Schurrle on the left and his run and shot was pushed out by David Stockdale and Samuel Eto’o stabbed the ball back towards Oscar, who slotted home from close range, giving Jose Mourinho’s men some much need breathing space at the start of the second half.
Watch how the second half unfolds live on NBCSN and online via NBC Sports Live Extra.
- Watch Live: Portland Timbers vs. Vancouver Whitecaps (Lineups) 0
- Bundesliga wrap: Hamburg holds Bayern; Newly-promoted club atop league 0
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Southampton win, Liverpool upset 0
- West Ham United 3-1 Liverpool: Early goals send Irons to big upset 1
- Newcastle United 2-2 Hull City: Cisse’s brace saves embattled Magpies (video) 0
- Aston Villa 0-3 Arsenal: Red-hot Ozil, Welbeck fire Gunners to victory (video) 0