Sep 21, 2013, 10:40 AM EST
West Bromwich Albion, concerned about their lack of goals this Premier League season, managed to sign Stephane Sessegnon just hours before the transfer window closed, paying a club-record £6 million for his signature. As if that pressure weren’t enough, the Benin international was handed his first start on Saturday against his former club, Sunderland.
Black Cats’ manager Paolo Di Canio added fuel to the fire before the match, accusing Sessegnon of not caring about the club, and playing as though he wasn’t prepared to give his best. West Brom manager Steve Clarke, however, wasn’t concerned about the player’s reputation, stating that he would have the hunger and the desire to prove himself at The Hawthorns.
Turns out Clarke was correct. It took just 20 minutes for Sessegnon to score his first goal for his new club. Scott Sinclair got on the end of a cross from Morgan Amalfitano, but Keiren Westwood was able to save. However, the ball bounced off the Sunderland keeper’s hands and straight into the path of Sessegnon. The attacker wasted no time in proving Di Canio wrong, sending his shot to the bottom right hand corner.
- Luis Suarez signs new long-term deal at Liverpool 2
- Clint Dempsey undergoes medical at Fulham ahead of loan move from Seattle Sounders 2
- Hamm, Wambach, Morgan lead U.S. Soccer’s all-time women’s best XI (but no Solo, Milbrett) 10
- Manchester derby in cards for League Cup final 1
- Brendan Rodgers cool on re-signing Luis Suarez to a new deal 2
- Abby Wambach’s 2011 goal against Brazil voted best moment in U.S. Soccer history 3
- Report: Clint Dempsey will join Fulham on Jan. 1 for two-month loan (12)
- Is Google a player in the game of sports media rights? (12)
- Hamm, Wambach, Morgan lead U.S. Soccer’s all-time women’s best XI (but no Solo, Milbrett) (11)
- Spurs in hunt for new boss after sacking Andre Villas-Boas (10)
- Mexico’s Monterrey dumped out of FIFA Club World Cup (7)
- Hodgson's Manaus Plan is Flawed
- Wilmer Cabrera on WC Draw: ''It's an Even Group''
- Germany Building Training Facility in Brazil
- Spain Thinking of US Camp Before World Cup
- Don't count out Chile in WC Group B
- Kicking it Off with a Final
- VIDEO: Visa World Cup Promo
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Klinsmann Shouldn't Have Been Re-signed Before WC
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit