Sep 22, 2013, 6:57 PM EDT
Last week was a down on as far as Premier League goals. This week, consider the tallies that finished fifth on second among the round’s goals of the week.
That exquisite volley from Sone Aluko that won full points for Hull at Newcastle. That’s five. FIVE!
And the 93rd minute, back-heel winner from Paulinho at Cardiff City Stadium? It also fell short of the top spot.
Those goals would both have claims for the top spot in another week, but in the fifth round of the Premier League season, the goals flowed. Whereas the circuit was averaging less than two goals per game during its first four rounds. the fifth week’s 10 matches produced an average of 2.9 goals per game this weekend.
The five above? They’re a small sample from a particularly entertaining week of Premier League action.
- MLS Weekend Preview: Derbies close weekend kicking off off at Sporting Park 0
- Lessons from 2010 say U.S. squad as much about opportunity, circumstances as youth 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Familiar faces jostle for the top spot – Week 1 2
- U.S. roster for Czech Republic: Quick look at some of the newer names 4
- Plenty of surprises in US national team roster for Czech Republic friendly 2
- Analysis: Arsenal, Manchester City handed tough Champions League draw 1