Sep 22, 2013, 6:57 PM EDT
Last week was a down on as far as Premier League goals. This week, consider the tallies that finished fifth on second among the round’s goals of the week.
That exquisite volley from Sone Aluko that won full points for Hull at Newcastle. That’s five. FIVE!
And the 93rd minute, back-heel winner from Paulinho at Cardiff City Stadium? It also fell short of the top spot.
Those goals would both have claims for the top spot in another week, but in the fifth round of the Premier League season, the goals flowed. Whereas the circuit was averaging less than two goals per game during its first four rounds. the fifth week’s 10 matches produced an average of 2.9 goals per game this weekend.
The five above? They’re a small sample from a particularly entertaining week of Premier League action.
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 2
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs