Sep 22, 2013, 6:57 PM EST
Last week was a down on as far as Premier League goals. This week, consider the tallies that finished fifth on second among the round’s goals of the week.
That exquisite volley from Sone Aluko that won full points for Hull at Newcastle. That’s five. FIVE!
And the 93rd minute, back-heel winner from Paulinho at Cardiff City Stadium? It also fell short of the top spot.
Those goals would both have claims for the top spot in another week, but in the fifth round of the Premier League season, the goals flowed. Whereas the circuit was averaging less than two goals per game during its first four rounds. the fifth week’s 10 matches produced an average of 2.9 goals per game this weekend.
The five above? They’re a small sample from a particularly entertaining week of Premier League action.
- Rodgers: Sturridge could face Chelsea in League Cup, certain to be back for Saturday vs. West Ham 0
- Sepp Blatter keeps talking trash at UEFA regarding FIFA election 4
- Sunday’s transfer rumor roundup: Konoplyanka to Everton, Clyne to Old Trafford 0
- Africa Cup of Nations roundup: Congo, Equatorial Guinea victorious in group finales, advance 0
- FA Cup Roundup: Upsets halted with West Ham, Villa, Arsenal wins 1
- Rodgers says Balotelli needs to vastly improve before playing for Liverpool 1