Sep 22, 2013, 6:57 PM EDT
Last week was a down on as far as Premier League goals. This week, consider the tallies that finished fifth on second among the round’s goals of the week.
That exquisite volley from Sone Aluko that won full points for Hull at Newcastle. That’s five. FIVE!
And the 93rd minute, back-heel winner from Paulinho at Cardiff City Stadium? It also fell short of the top spot.
Those goals would both have claims for the top spot in another week, but in the fifth round of the Premier League season, the goals flowed. Whereas the circuit was averaging less than two goals per game during its first four rounds. the fifth week’s 10 matches produced an average of 2.9 goals per game this weekend.
The five above? They’re a small sample from a particularly entertaining week of Premier League action.
- Men In Blazers podcast: A happy PL return, while Spencer Lanning talks ‘football’ 0
- Captain Clint fires Seattle Sounders to US Open Cup crown in 3-1 extra time win over Philadelphia 6
- Report: FA to overhaul work permit rules to cut down on non-EU players 5
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Liverpool win late; Real Madrid, Dortmund victorious 0
- Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Arsenal: Gunners outclassed by BVB 7
- Liverpool 2-1 Ludogorets: Gerrard grabs last-gasp winner after scare 0