Sep 23, 2013, 6:00 PM EST
After several incidents involving the fans at the Main Moscow derby on Sunday, a 3-0 win for home team Spartak Moscow over CSKA Moscow, 13 fans were arrested. According to a report from Russia, they were held for 30 hours without food or water.
Gazeta.ru reported on Monday that the 13 detainees included fans of both teams, although the outlet received no comment as to the exact reason for their arrest. They spent the night in jail with no permission to speak to anybody on the outside.
After 30 hours, the fans still were not charged with any crimes, and Gazeta (Газетa) reported that they were not given any food or water for the entirety of their detention. The judge in charge of the case said the arrests were made despite numerous inaccuracies in the reports and multiple violations of protocol.
Still, the fans will have to appear in court for the re-examination of their cases.
Several YouTube videos surfaced in the past day that show various instances of police brutality toward the traveling CSKA support and provocation by home fans. In one, police officers force fans down a tunnel and into a section of the stadium using batons:
And in another, a home fan appears to be throwing flares into the CSKA section from above, which seems to have led to the incident with police:
The 3-0 result on the field led to a three-way tie at the top of the Russian Premier League, as Spartak, CSKA and Zenit St. Petersburg all have 20 points from their first nine games and identical records of six wins, two draws and one loss.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Liverpool, Spurs take to road to face fellow strugglers Palace, Hull 1
- Premier League roundup: Wins for Manchester United, Chelsea, Burnley (video) 0
- WATCH: Messi’s teammates repeatedly toss him in air after breaking La Liga record 1
- Defiant win proves van Gaal’s Manchester United on the right track 0
- Three things we learned from Manchester United’s big win at Arsenal 0
- Arsenal 1-2 Manchester United: Too little too late for Giroud and the chance-squandering Gunners 1