Sep 23, 2013, 7:10 PM EST
Usually when we write about Steven Lenhart, words like “overly aggressive” or “fouling instigator” or “dirty play” or even “nearly started a full-fledged donnybrook!” are never far away.
Not today. Lenhart provided two highly essential goals for San Jose on Saturday night, both of his team’s early strikes in a 2-1 win over Real Salt Lake – a potential playoff shape-shifting result.
Lenhart headed in a 18th-minute cross, then was alert minutes later as San Jose took a quick free kick, exploiting the advantage of surprise for his early game winner.
And what an important game-winner it was. San Jose has but four matches remaining, and stands four points out of the playoffs. But three of the matches are potential “Ws,” at lowly Chivas USA, at home against eight-place Dallas and again at home against Colorado. A road match at rival Los Angeles is a slippery bit, to be sure. Then again, without the massive weekend win in Utah, thanks in large part to Lenhart, we wouldn’t even be talking today about any Earthquakes playoff chances at all.
With his pair of goals Saturday at Rio Tinto Stadium, Lenhart doubled his season total to four.
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 2
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 1
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park