Sep 24, 2013, 8:30 AM EST
Ahead of Tuesday night’s CONCACAF Champions League match with CD Heredia, Montreal Impact coach Marco Schällibaum admits his squad must go “all in” if they are to have any hope of winning Group 5.
To make that happen Montreal will need to register a six goal difference against CD Heredia and hope that when the San Jose Earthquakes face Heredia in the final group match next month, that the MLS side nips a narrow victory.
Schällibaum was stoic in a press conference on Monday. “[The players] know that the message is clear: We are going to win this game. We have to go all in. We have a small chance and we’ll try everything to take it.”
Complicating matters is the fact that the Impact have scored only one goal in three straight losses in all competitions. And while Schällibaum admitted that certain players will be rested, he assured reporters that “there will be 11 lions on the field.”
One of those lions will be defender Hassoun Camara. “The players that will be on the field will strive to show what they can do, to show that they can help the group improve and win,” the Frenchman said. “That’s what we want for tomorrow: we want to win and get back on a positive spell that will revive us for the next stretch.
“I really think we can do it,” Camara explained. “We saw that against Toronto [in the Amway Canadian Championship semifinal second leg] when we played a great game and overcame a great challenge when people thought we were dead.”
The Impact and Heredia kickoff tonight at 5pm at the Stade Saputo in Montreal.
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 0
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 3
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- UK Twitter chat in 2013 dominated by soccer. Good thing or bad thing? 2
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint