Sep 26, 2013, 5:15 PM EDT
He just won’t stop scoring.
AZ Alkmaar and United States striker Aron Jóhannsson scored three more goals on Wednesday to sink Sparta Rotterdam, 4-1, in extra time in the KNVB Beker. The Icelandic-American scored five minutes into the Dutch Cup game, but Sparta equalized just three minutes later, and the match went to extra time.
Again, Jóhannsson wasted little time, scoring in the 91st minute. This time, there would be no comeback, as he sealed the win for AZ in the 105th minute before teammate Steven Berghuis capped it in the 119th.
The performance gives Jóhannsson nine goals in all competitions in 2013-14, his sixth since making his international debut with the U.S. on Aug. 14 at Bosnia-Herzegovina.
- Preview: Early cycle friendly shelves normal questions for U.S. national team’s return 1
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – The faith-destroying edition 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: LA Galaxy’s Landon Donovan 0
- What tomorrow’s goalkeeper platoon tells us about the U.S. goalkeeper void 6
- Jozy Altidore to captain U.S. Wednesday against Czech Republic 1
- With Radamel Falcao, can Manchester United challenge for the Premier League? 14