Sep 26, 2013, 10:30 PM EST
Record rainfall in September and a lack of suitable stadiums in Moscow have driven CSKA Moscow to move its UEFA Champions League matchup with Viktoria Plzeň on Wednesday to St. Petersburg. Zenit’s Petrovskiy Stadium will host the match.
The surface at Stadion Torpedo for CSKA’s 0-0 draw with Anzhi Makhachkala on Wednesday looked more suited to a lower-league English match in January than a Champions League group-stage clash. Luzhniki Stadium, with its FIFA-approved artificial surface, is closed for renovations ahead of the Russian-hosted 2018 FIFA World Cup.
Luzhniki hosts Russian national team games as well as matches in continental competitions when it is open.
Record September rainfall for Moscow + poor groundskeeping + closure of Luzhniki = this pitch at CSKA v Anzhi pic.twitter.com/CBh0a7bnEF
— James Appell (@jamesappell) September 25, 2013
However, Petrovskiy has a natural surface, and Zenit has a home Champions League match against Austria Wien the day before CSKA plays, which could add to the nightmare if the weather doesn’t hold off or if the field is otherwise torn up that night.
Zenit’s last home game was Sept. 14, and the only other match between that one and the next Champions League date is Saturday against Spartak Moscow. It is not expected to rain Saturday through Tuesday, with a maximum 20 percent chance of showers.
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 2
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors (video) 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014