Sep 26, 2013, 8:15 PM EST
After a 1-0 loss at Voždovac left Red Star Belgrade in fifth place in the Serbian Super Liga last weekend, the capital city’s fans decided its players didn’t deserve to wear the Red Star jersey.
The players walked over to the away section after the defeat, and, one by one, took off their shirts and handed them through the fence and into the stands. The supporters didn’t keep them; instead, they ripped the shirts up and threw them back onto the field.
When Nigerian striker Abiola Dauda didn’t seem to understand what was going on, a teammate motioned to him to take off his shirt and hand it to the fans. Only goalkeeper Boban Bajković was spared the humiliation, as he was deemed to have earned the shirt on his back.
Fans also appeared to tear chunks out of the seats and throw them onto the field in frustration. The players stood and took their abuse, much as former Sunderland manager Paolo di Canio did last weekend before he was fired, before walking solemnly back to their dressing room to jeers and whistles.
Earlier this season, Partizan Belgrade fans put on a similar, although much more personal display. After an embarrassing 1-0 loss to Bulgarian club Razgrad Ludogorets that sealed Partizan’s exit from the Champions League, ultra leader Miloš Radisavljević Kimi jumped onto the field and took Marko Šćepović’s captain’s armband off him.
Ultimately, the ultras got what they wanted. On Sept. 1, Šćepović completed a transfer to Olympiakos in Greece, signing a four-year deal.
- MLS Cup preview: Real Salt Lake meets Sporting Kansas City to decide Major League Soccer’s 18th championship 1
- USA’s World Cup opponents: What to expect from Germany, Portugal and Ghana 6
- World Cup 2014: Group analysis from Soccerly.com 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues 15
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (36)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (21)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (15)