Juan Mata desperate to try anything to win his place back

Sep 27, 2013, 11:51 PM EDT

Chelsea's Juan Mata reacts during their game against Swindon Town in their English League Cup soccer match at the County Ground in Swindon Reuters

With Jose Mourinho’s baffling decision to bench Juan Mata because…well…he felt like it, has left Mata grasping at anything to prove he belongs.

“I can play as a No10, or on the wing” said Mata. “I will play wherever he demands. I can improve. I want to do the same job I did in the last two seasons.

“My dad always said to me that if you are left-footed, then improve with your right foot. I know that I have to improve defensively. And I have tried throughout my career to improve. Jose can help me to achieve that. Last season was the best of my career, but I could still have done better. I focus on what I have to do.”

Clearly the Spaniard has the right attitude about the situation, but it’s tough to watch Mourinho break Mata down and force him to beg for his spot back.

(MORE – Absent without leave: Where in the world are Shinji Kagawa and Juan Mata?)

He added how special it’s been to hear both fans and players alike voice their support for his cause.

“The other night against Basel I got emotional when I went to warm up and all the stands were cheering me” said the 25-year-old. “That is what I try to keep in mind. I like to play well, score and do great things for them, because they’re the most important.

“People have come up to me in the street and said nice things, and it is good to feel people are behind you. In the dressing room we are friends. All of them are saying, ‘Be patient, be calm, we know how good you are’. And that’s very important. I feel really loved, so I am just doing what I know I have to do. And that is be professional, respect everyone, and simply keep going.”

As last season’s assist leader in the Premier League, Mata’s exclusion has certainly caused many to turn their heads.  Mourinho’s insistence on crafting the team into his own has taken casualties, and it appears Mata is at the forefront of the sacrifice.

Will he leave in the winter if he does not “win” his place back? Possibly. But you can be certain the rumors will fly.

Latest Posts
  1. VIDEO: Top 10 goals of the MLS season (heading into the final weekend)

Oct 22, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT

Erik Hurtado AP

Here’s the bar, Week 33 of Major League Soccer: Please feel free to raise it.

2. UEFA Champions League roundup: Madrid clubs, Borussia Dortmund roll

Oct 22, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, AP

We are at the halfway point in Groups A-D, and some English clubs are concerned about their fortunes to be sure.

3. Three things we learned as Real Madrid rout Liverpool

Oct 22, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT

It was a night to forget for the home side, as Real ruled at Anfield. Here’s what we learned.

4. Arsenal’s Podolski, Gibbs break Belgian hearts in left-for-late win

Oct 22, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT

Belgium Soccer Champions League AP

The 21-year-old Honduran international did what a dangerous Alexis Sanchez couldn’t, but Arsenal was rescued late.

5. Michel Platini denies making ebola comments which angered African Confederation

Oct 22, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT

Platini Getty Images

The CAF claimed Platini said something he didn’t, and it hurt his feelings.

6. Setting the scene at Anfield, as Liverpool host Real Madrid in UEFA Champions League

Oct 22, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT

FBL-EUR-C1-LIVERPOOL-REALMADRID FBL-EUR-C1-LIVERPOOL-REALMADRID

Here’s what it’s like at Anfield, as Liverpool host Real Madrid in the UEFA Champions League.

7. FOLLOW LIVE – Champions League returns for Wednesday slate

Oct 22, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT

Ronaldo Getty Images

With yesterday’s goal frenzy, will today give us the same excitement?

8. Robinho being investigated for sexually assaulting teenager

Oct 22, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT

Robinho Getty Images

This is the second time Robinho is under investigation for such an alleged incident.

9. David Villa’s time in Australia could be up already

Oct 22, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT

Villa Getty Images

NYCFC’s first Designated Player will be returning to the United States to fulfill commercial and marketing obligations, and it’s unclear whether he will make his way back to Australia to finish out his loan.

10. WATCH: Geoff Cameron says he’s fighting for a central position

Oct 22, 2014, 11:36 AM EDT

Cameron Getty Images

Now that he’s back from a hernia problem, the American told Stoke’s YouTube channel that he is no longer a right-back and the club is aware of where he wants to play.

11. Men in Blazers podcast: Whiplash from QPR-Liverpool, Klinsmann-Garber, plus Josh Lambo

Oct 22, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT

meninblazers

Rog and Davo gain whiplash from QPR-Liverpool, and the Jurgen Klinsmann-Don Garber saga.

12. Portland Timbers out of CONCACAF CL after loss in Honduras

Oct 22, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT

TimbersOlimpia Getty Images

The MLS side was eliminated from group stage play on an away goals tiebreaker as Honduran side Olimpia goes through.

13. FA investigating racial abuse in Championship match

Oct 22, 2014, 8:42 AM EDT

BellusciJerome Getty Images

Norwich striker Cameron Jerome complained to Mark Clattenburg that a Leeds player was racially abusing him, and the matter is being investigated.

14. Podolski to speak to Wenger, Arsenal about his future

Oct 22, 2014, 7:46 AM EDT

Podolski Getty Images

Arsenal’s energetic German winger loves the club, but admitted he can’t sit on the bench forever.

15. QPR chairman releases statement on Redknapp-Taarabt feud

Oct 21, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT

Tony Fernandes looks on at Loftus Road during a QPR match this season. Getty Images

“On behalf of the club, I would like to apologise to the QPR supporters for the embarrassment this has caused,” Fernandes wrote.

16. Tuesday’s Top 5 Champions League Goals: Which was the best?

Oct 21, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT

Edinson Cavani AP

Who scored the best goal in Tuesday’s Champions League action?

17. A Klinsmann Casualty? Juan Agudelo passed on by Wolverhampton

Oct 21, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT

Dutch Eredivisie - Roda JC Kerkrade v FC Utrecht AP

One hopes Agudelo’s story will resonate with Jurgen Klinsmann.

PST Extra: Can United beat Chelsea?