Sep 27, 2013, 8:05 PM EST
No fans will be in attendance when Ukraine host Poland on October 11 thanks to a punishment handed down by FIFA.
According to the sport’s governing body, on the September 6 match with San Marino, ‘several racist and discriminatory incidents were apparently perpetrated by local supporters during the match, in particular by displaying neo-Nazi banners and by making `monkey noises and gestures’ as well as Nazi salutes.”
FIFA also noted several incidents involving “pyrotechnic devices” during the match (pictured).
In addition to the supporter ban, FIFA also handed down a fine of $49,800 to the Ukraine Football Federation (FFU). Ukraine won the match in Lviv 8-0.
The upcoming game between Poland and Ukraine, which will now be played in front of an empty stadium, is of utmost importance in Group H play. Ukraine is tied with Montenegro on 15 points – good enough for second place – and Poland sit back in fourth position just two points back. England leads the group with 16.
FIFA noted that if the infractions continue, they would have no choice but to impose harsher punishments, including “a match forfeit, a points deduction or disqualification from a competition.”
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 16 1
- Manchester United’s Robin van Persie faces lengthy spell out 0
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research hints less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 3
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 3
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park