Sep 27, 2013, 12:37 PM EDT
After coming back from injury, it didn’t take Herculez Gomez long to get back amongst the goals… not long at all.
On his return to action for Club Tijuana, the US national team striker smashed in a hat trick in his opening 45 minutes of play, to help the Xolos beat Victoria 6-0 and set up a potential top seed for the CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinals.
Gomez has been out of action since July 17, but came on at half time with Tijuana already 3-0 up to add some extra gloss to the scoreline.
The 31-year-old striker, who made the switch north from Santos Laguna over the summer, scored all his goals in 25 second half minutes to give USMNT head coach Jurgen Klinsmann a timely reminder that he is still around.
Gomez needs a good season in Liga MX, as he aims to make the US World Cup squad in Brazil. We all know what he’s capable of, so does Klinsmann, but Gomez has some pretty stiff competition with the like of Terrence Boyd, Eddie Johnson, Aron Johannsson and others all battling with Jozy Altidore to bolster the Nats forward options.
But Gomez has arguably been overtaken as second-choice US striker in recent months, with EJ playing well and the Johannsson really making a name for himself in the Eredivisie with AZ Alkmaar. At least Klinsi has plenty of time to make a decision, between now and next June is a long-time in soccer and there will be plenty of friendlies and World Cup qualifiers to test Gomez and others out. And it’s a great headache for Klinsmann to have.
I for one am glad to see Herc finally back in action and smashing some goals in. Let’s hope his spectacular comeback game sets him up for a spectacular season south of the border. He needs it, but so might the USA.
Watch his second half hat trick below, courtesy of our good pals at CONCACAF.
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 2
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs