Sep 28, 2013, 11:45 PM EST
Josh Lambo spent four seasons at FC Dallas after being selected in the first round of the 2008 MLS draft (not long after MLS names like Brek Shea, Chance Myers, Tony Beltran and Sean Franklin).
When the club didn’t renew his contract, Lambo took some of that Generation Adidas money and got himself in school. Now his educational quest is Texas A&M’s gain.
Lambo was elevated to starting kicker for the country’s No. 10 football team. (Lambo’s move from one “football” to the other is not news; the news here is that he has become the starter.)
When A&M’s starting kicker struggled last week, Lambo came in to kick an extra point and a 40-yard field goal. Saturday, he was the team’s starting kicker as A&M began its conference season at Arkansas.
Lambo isn’t the first former MLS man to go from pro soccer player to collegiate field goal kicker. Devin Barclay spent four years in MLS with Tampa Bay, San Jose, D.C. United and Columbus between 2001-2005. He appeared in 23 games during that time.
Barclay later walked on at Ohio State and became the team’s starting kicker in 2009. A game-winning field goal later that year helped the Buckeyes earn a spot in the Rose Bowl.
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- Venue Guide: Check out where the USA will play at 2014 World Cup in Brazil 5
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"