Sep 28, 2013, 9:47 PM EST
Back in 2007, Houston trailed New England by a goal in a big game on the East Coast. It was the MLS Cup final, in face.
A formation change out of the Dynamo’s tried-and-true 4-4-2 gave Houston what it needed, an equalizer that turned the match (and those MLS Cup fortunes, as Houston went on to win.)
The stakes weren’t as high Saturday at Gillette Stadium, but the result probably will mean a lot in deciding who does and doesn’t go into the 2013 MLS playoffs. And once again, it was a shift out of the 4-4-2 and into a 3-5-2 that helped get Houston there against the Revs.
Houston’s 1-1 draw at Gillette keeps Houston in fourth place, still with a chance of catching Sporting Kansas City for the far more valuable third spot. Plus, Dominic Kinnear’s team has three of its remaining four regular season matches at home, so things look pretty good for the Orange. (Which is surely why Houston folded itself right back into the 4-4-2 following Will Bruin’s 76th minute strike; the tie serves Houston well.)
The draw does not, on the other hand, do good things for the Revolution, trying to fight its way back into the post-season bidding for the first time since 2009. Jay Heaps’ team is sixth, still one spot out of the playoffs.
Highlights from Gillette Stadium:
- WATCH: Premier League live on NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 17 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Southampton and Chelsea to rise 0
- Could Joe Hart return to Premier League action this weekend against Fulham? 0
- U.S. Soccer names All-Time Best XI, do you agree? 7
- Luis Suarez signs new long-term deal at Liverpool 3
- Clint Dempsey undergoes medical at Fulham ahead of loan move from Seattle Sounders 3
- Report: Clint Dempsey will join Fulham on Jan. 1 for two-month loan (12)
- Is Google a player in the game of sports media rights? (12)
- Hamm, Wambach, Morgan lead U.S. Soccer’s all-time women’s best XI (but no Solo, Milbrett) (11)
- Spurs in hunt for new boss after sacking Andre Villas-Boas (10)
- Mexico’s Monterrey dumped out of FIFA Club World Cup (7)
- Bank of Brazil to Release Special World Cup Coins
- Nightmare for Socceroos in Real Group of Death
- Hodgson's Manaus Plan is Flawed
- Wilmer Cabrera on WC Draw: ''It's an Even Group''
- Germany Building Training Facility in Brazil
- Spain Thinking of US Camp Before World Cup
- Don't count out Chile in WC Group B
- Kicking it Off with a Final
- VIDEO: Visa World Cup Promo
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy