Sep 28, 2013, 11:01 AM EST
To welcome Manchester City to Villa Park, the hosts set up rather defensively, with Paul Lambert putting his boys into a 5-3-2 formation in an attempt to grind out a point. And Aston Villa almost made it to the end of the first half without giving up a goal. Almost.
The hosts were likely feeling a bit flustered as Manchester City set up for their ninth corner of the match. They’d already needed to scramble a couple times to keep out the visitors, and Antonio Luna had just been forced to clear one off the line. This time, Karim El Ahmadi got his head on the corner, but couldn’t clear, sending it straight to Yaya Toure. The Ivorian reacted with lightning speed, flicking the ball through the legs of Villa goalkeeper Brad Guzan.
While the Villa “defense” should be putting the American under less pressure, Guzan really should have done better there. He’ll be hoping a halftime chat from Lambert will talk down the young Villans’ nerves and allow them to get back in the match. Be sure to tune in to NBCSN or catch the second half action live online via NBC Sports Live Extra.
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 2
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors (video) 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014