Sep 29, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT
Jozy Altidore‘s former club and the current home of Aron Johannsson have sacked their manager Gertjan Verbeek, much to the surprise of just about anyone.
The club cited a “lack of chemistry” and a “lack of confidence” as their reasons for the firing, despite having the club in 7th position a year after finishing in 10th. In addition, the club just yesterday defeated league leaders PSV Eindhoven, a very quality side that Johannsson’s ridiculous goal sent packing.
For some unknown reason, the club statement really tossed Verbeek under the bus, saying “the management and supervisory board sees no more basis for further co-operation.”
The 51-year-old has been with Alkmaar since 2010 and had just last year signed a contract extension through 2015.
A press conference held by AZ did little to shed light on the reasons for the firing.
- Week 7 Preview: Fire look for first win vs. Revs; Dallas gets its crack at Toronto 0
- Report: Aston Villa ownership will change hands if club stays up 4
- Tim Howard inks Everton extension, signs through 2017-18 season 2
- Premier League Power Rankings: Liverpool or Chelsea for the title? – Week 34 0
- Neymar, Jordi Alba to miss the rest of Barcelona’s season 1
- Manchester: A city not united, as Blue and Red converge 2