Sep 29, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT
Jozy Altidore‘s former club and the current home of Aron Johannsson have sacked their manager Gertjan Verbeek, much to the surprise of just about anyone.
The club cited a “lack of chemistry” and a “lack of confidence” as their reasons for the firing, despite having the club in 7th position a year after finishing in 10th. In addition, the club just yesterday defeated league leaders PSV Eindhoven, a very quality side that Johannsson’s ridiculous goal sent packing.
For some unknown reason, the club statement really tossed Verbeek under the bus, saying “the management and supervisory board sees no more basis for further co-operation.”
The 51-year-old has been with Alkmaar since 2010 and had just last year signed a contract extension through 2015.
A press conference held by AZ did little to shed light on the reasons for the firing.
- Lessons from 2010 say U.S. squad as much about opportunity, circumstances as youth 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Familiar faces jostle for the top spot – Week 1 1
- U.S. roster for Czech Republic: Quick look at some of the newer names 2
- Plenty of surprises in US national team roster for Czech Republic friendly 1
- Analysis: Arsenal, Manchester City handed tough Champions League draw 0
- Full draw: European giants collide as UEFA Champions League groups set 7