Sep 29, 2013, 3:13 PM EDT
Torino 0-1 Juventus:
It wasn’t easy, but Paul Pogba’s strike bested derby rivals Torino thanks to a Paul Pogba
offsides goal on the rebound from a Carlos Tevez smash of the crossbar. The visitors also kept their 11-year clean sheet over Torino going, and despite the work-rate required to maintain the victory, the points were there.
The main issue is that The Old Lady continue to struggle without Andrea Pirlo, as the lack of patience and length in possession doesn’t give them the ability to take their time in opening an opposing defense.
Cagliari 1-1 Inter
Walter Mazzarri and Inter Milan had the opportunity to leapfrog Napoli for the top spot, but Radja Nainggolan denied them with an equalizer in the 83rd minute. Mazzeri chose to rotate a number of his players after an impressive win over Fiorentina, making four changes.
Cagliari keeper Michael Agazzi was impressive, keeping his team within range until they equalized. Inter haven’t won at Cagliari since 2010. Juventus ended up top of the table thanks to Inter’s falter.
Sassuolo 2-2 Lazio
A week after holding Napoli to a surprising draw, newly promoted Sassuolo were able to draw even with top-half Lazio as well. Both teams were slammed by the injury bug, with 10 players between the two sides missing out, including Lazio’s Miroslav Klose.
Lazio had taken a quickfire 2-0 lead just after halftime thanks to Andre Dias and Antonio Candreva, but the home side fought back. They got one back right away through Ezequiel Schelotto, and then an Antonio Floro Flores free kick goal in the 76th minute to get even.
Atalanta 2-0 Udinese
32-year-old German Denis hit a brace as Atalanta got some space between them and the relegation zone with their second win of the season.
Roma vs. Bologna
Michael Bradley’s Roma are looking to stay perfect on the season as they welcome Bologna. The Giallorossi are a perfect 5-0-0 so far, and can go top of the table with a win. They take on a winless Bologna side in 18th place with 3 points, all on draws.
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 2
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs