Sep 29, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Sunderland, despite impressing at times on the attack, have found themselves 2-0 down as halftime beckons at the Stadium of Light.
Sturridge opened the game’s account in the 28th minute as he directed Steven Gerrard‘s corner into the back of the net. Replays showed he used his shoulder to hit the ball in, but nobody on the pitch complained of handball and referee Howard Webb did not address the possible infraction.
Suarez’s strike came eight minutes later, when Steven Gerrard threaded through Sturridge on the right edge of the penalty area, and he sent the ball across the mouth of the goal to the Uruguayan lurking at the far post for the easy finish.
The goal is the first of Suarez’s season, and was a fitting finish as the two of the men up front for Liverpool paired wonderfully in the first half.
Sunderland showed the ability to attack, but haven’t unlocked the Sunderland defense yet and will need to do so to have any chance of a comeback.
- Watch Live: Manchester City vs. Crystal Palace (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 17 0
- MLS announces home openers for 2015 season 1
- Mourinho says Eden Hazard can become an all-time great 2
- After failed odyssey abroad, Brek Shea returns to MLS with Orlando City 3
- Lille, Werder Bremen noted frontrunners for Jozy Altidore’s services 1