Sep 29, 2013, 5:55 PM EDT
The weekend’s top goals are always attributed to individuals, but as this week’s list shows, some goals are made by the man while others are made by the team.
Bryan Ruiz and Ben Davies? They deserve the credit on their goals. Ruiz’s left-footed bender left David Marshall no chance to stop a ball that end up flexing the side netting. Davies needed some help from Wilfred Bony, but given his run from the left side, the Swansea left back deserves much of the credit.
But the best individual effort belongs to West Brom’s Morgan Amalfitano. After embarrassing Rio Ferdinand, the former Marseille winger makes a nice, subtle move to force David De Gea down before chipping in the Baggies’ opener. Earlier today, we spent a lot of time talking about David Moyes’s poor start, but if Ferdinand doesn’t get nutmegged by Amalfitano on the opening goal, Moyes’s plan has a little more time to play out.
The week’s other two goals are team efforts. Christian Eriksen and Roberto Soldado were instrumental on Gylfi Sigurdsson‘s goal, with the Icelandic international continuing his surge after finding new life on Tottenham’s left side. And on Arsenal’s score, look at the movement of the three players — Aaron Ramsey, Jack Wilshere, and Olivier Giroud — ahead of Ramsey’s fourth goal of the season. Wilshere ends up darting into Giroud’s spot, Ramsey looping around to Wilshere’s side as Arsenal crafted their game-winning goal.
They’re all part of the weekend’s top five goals. Check out the highlights, above.
- Foot injury forces DF Hector Moreno to withdraw from Mexico’s 2015 Gold Cup squad 0
- Chile 2-1 Peru: Vargas’ wondergoal puts the hosts through to Copa America final (video) 0
- Men in Blazers podcast special: USWNT’s Klingenberg talks defense, Germany, karate 1
- It’s official: Petr Cech has swapped London clubs, Chelsea to Arsenal 4
- Spanish football league becomes first to take legal action over Qatar World Cup dates 3
- England’s case of World Cup fever just what the doctor ordered for women’s soccer in Britain 3