Sep 30, 2013, 10:17 AM EDT
Believe it or not folks, tomorrow we enter October.
I know, I know, you haven’t even got you’re Halloween costume picked out or anything… but there are more important things to worry about, because the race to make the MLS playoffs is perhaps the tightest contest we’ve seen in recent years. Maybe ever.
Most teams have four games to play, a few have three, and the entire 34 game season is edging towards an incredible month in October, as 10 teams are fighting for the final four playoff spots in both the Eastern and Western Conferences. The top three sides in each conference have some breathing space, so we will leave New York, Montreal, Sporting KC, Seattle, Real Salt Lake and Portland out of the equation… for now.
We are not going to make any predictions at the moment, we will simply give you the facts. How many points each teams has, how many games they have left and who they will play. The fact that New England and Columbus square off twice in a row in the last two games of the season, as is the same scenario for Colorado and Vancouver out West, means it will truly be a ‘playoff-esque’ atmosphere as all four teams go for broke to finish fifth.
But now it’s up to you to do the hard bit, and decide who’ll make it to the postseason. With the re-emergence of teams such as Colorado, Philadelphia and Dallas this season, it’ll be a hard one to call. The last day of the regular season is going to be epic, roll on October 27.
Below is how the standings in each conference look right now, as only the top five make the playoffs.
4. Houston 44pts (4 games left) – Montreal (H), Sporting KC (H), New York (H), D.C. United (A)
5. Philly 42 (4) – Toronto (H), D.C. United (A), Montreal (A), Sporting KC (H)
6. Columbus 41 (3) – Sporting KC (H), New England (A), New England (H)
7. NE 41 (4) – New York (A), Montreal (A), Columbus (H), Columbus (A)
8. Chicago 40 (4) – D.C. United (A), FC Dallas (A), Toronto (H), New York (A)
4. LA 45pts (4 games left) – Chivas (H), Montreal (H), San Jose (H), Seattle (A)
5. Colorado 45 (4) – Seattle (H), San Jose (A), Vancouver (H), Vancouver (A)
6. San Jose 44 (3) – Colorado (H), LA (A), FC Dallas (H)
7. Vancouver 41 (4) – Portland (H), Seattle (A), Colorado (A), Colorado (H)
8. Dallas 40 (4) – RSL (A), Chicago (H), Seattle (H), San Jose (A)
- Still defending racial incident, seething at bite talk, Suarez returns for Barcelona 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks – Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 9 0
- Introducing: “The 2 Robbies ‘Football’ Show” on NBCSportsRadio.com 0
- El Clasico: Luis Suarez, Barcelona and Real Madrid together at last 0
- VIDEO: Can Manchester United beat Chelsea? PST Extra breaks it down 2