Sep 30, 2013, 10:17 AM EST
Believe it or not folks, tomorrow we enter October.
I know, I know, you haven’t even got you’re Halloween costume picked out or anything… but there are more important things to worry about, because the race to make the MLS playoffs is perhaps the tightest contest we’ve seen in recent years. Maybe ever.
Most teams have four games to play, a few have three, and the entire 34 game season is edging towards an incredible month in October, as 10 teams are fighting for the final four playoff spots in both the Eastern and Western Conferences. The top three sides in each conference have some breathing space, so we will leave New York, Montreal, Sporting KC, Seattle, Real Salt Lake and Portland out of the equation… for now.
We are not going to make any predictions at the moment, we will simply give you the facts. How many points each teams has, how many games they have left and who they will play. The fact that New England and Columbus square off twice in a row in the last two games of the season, as is the same scenario for Colorado and Vancouver out West, means it will truly be a ‘playoff-esque’ atmosphere as all four teams go for broke to finish fifth.
But now it’s up to you to do the hard bit, and decide who’ll make it to the postseason. With the re-emergence of teams such as Colorado, Philadelphia and Dallas this season, it’ll be a hard one to call. The last day of the regular season is going to be epic, roll on October 27.
Below is how the standings in each conference look right now, as only the top five make the playoffs.
4. Houston 44pts (4 games left) – Montreal (H), Sporting KC (H), New York (H), D.C. United (A)
5. Philly 42 (4) – Toronto (H), D.C. United (A), Montreal (A), Sporting KC (H)
6. Columbus 41 (3) – Sporting KC (H), New England (A), New England (H)
7. NE 41 (4) – New York (A), Montreal (A), Columbus (H), Columbus (A)
8. Chicago 40 (4) – D.C. United (A), FC Dallas (A), Toronto (H), New York (A)
4. LA 45pts (4 games left) – Chivas (H), Montreal (H), San Jose (H), Seattle (A)
5. Colorado 45 (4) – Seattle (H), San Jose (A), Vancouver (H), Vancouver (A)
6. San Jose 44 (3) – Colorado (H), LA (A), FC Dallas (H)
7. Vancouver 41 (4) – Portland (H), Seattle (A), Colorado (A), Colorado (H)
8. Dallas 40 (4) – RSL (A), Chicago (H), Seattle (H), San Jose (A)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (15)
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit