Sep 30, 2013, 10:17 AM EDT
Believe it or not folks, tomorrow we enter October.
I know, I know, you haven’t even got you’re Halloween costume picked out or anything… but there are more important things to worry about, because the race to make the MLS playoffs is perhaps the tightest contest we’ve seen in recent years. Maybe ever.
Most teams have four games to play, a few have three, and the entire 34 game season is edging towards an incredible month in October, as 10 teams are fighting for the final four playoff spots in both the Eastern and Western Conferences. The top three sides in each conference have some breathing space, so we will leave New York, Montreal, Sporting KC, Seattle, Real Salt Lake and Portland out of the equation… for now.
We are not going to make any predictions at the moment, we will simply give you the facts. How many points each teams has, how many games they have left and who they will play. The fact that New England and Columbus square off twice in a row in the last two games of the season, as is the same scenario for Colorado and Vancouver out West, means it will truly be a ‘playoff-esque’ atmosphere as all four teams go for broke to finish fifth.
But now it’s up to you to do the hard bit, and decide who’ll make it to the postseason. With the re-emergence of teams such as Colorado, Philadelphia and Dallas this season, it’ll be a hard one to call. The last day of the regular season is going to be epic, roll on October 27.
Below is how the standings in each conference look right now, as only the top five make the playoffs.
4. Houston 44pts (4 games left) – Montreal (H), Sporting KC (H), New York (H), D.C. United (A)
5. Philly 42 (4) – Toronto (H), D.C. United (A), Montreal (A), Sporting KC (H)
6. Columbus 41 (3) – Sporting KC (H), New England (A), New England (H)
7. NE 41 (4) – New York (A), Montreal (A), Columbus (H), Columbus (A)
8. Chicago 40 (4) – D.C. United (A), FC Dallas (A), Toronto (H), New York (A)
4. LA 45pts (4 games left) – Chivas (H), Montreal (H), San Jose (H), Seattle (A)
5. Colorado 45 (4) – Seattle (H), San Jose (A), Vancouver (H), Vancouver (A)
6. San Jose 44 (3) – Colorado (H), LA (A), FC Dallas (H)
7. Vancouver 41 (4) – Portland (H), Seattle (A), Colorado (A), Colorado (H)
8. Dallas 40 (4) – RSL (A), Chicago (H), Seattle (H), San Jose (A)
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Red Bulls' Opening Act Has A Nightmare Finish
- MLS 2014: Dream Team of Week 1
- Jens Lehmann Downplays Guardiola's Bayern Munich
- Chivas USA Hang on to Take all 3 Points From Chicago Fire
- Three Things: Manchester City - Wigan
- Monarcas Morelia Hire 4th Manager of the Season
- What Moyes Really Meant by Asking Fans for More Time at Man United
- Manchester United Set to Sign Record $1 Billion Sponsorship Deal with Nike
- Will Johnson: We Weren't All Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro