Sep 30, 2013, 10:17 AM EDT
Believe it or not folks, tomorrow we enter October.
I know, I know, you haven’t even got you’re Halloween costume picked out or anything… but there are more important things to worry about, because the race to make the MLS playoffs is perhaps the tightest contest we’ve seen in recent years. Maybe ever.
Most teams have four games to play, a few have three, and the entire 34 game season is edging towards an incredible month in October, as 10 teams are fighting for the final four playoff spots in both the Eastern and Western Conferences. The top three sides in each conference have some breathing space, so we will leave New York, Montreal, Sporting KC, Seattle, Real Salt Lake and Portland out of the equation… for now.
We are not going to make any predictions at the moment, we will simply give you the facts. How many points each teams has, how many games they have left and who they will play. The fact that New England and Columbus square off twice in a row in the last two games of the season, as is the same scenario for Colorado and Vancouver out West, means it will truly be a ‘playoff-esque’ atmosphere as all four teams go for broke to finish fifth.
But now it’s up to you to do the hard bit, and decide who’ll make it to the postseason. With the re-emergence of teams such as Colorado, Philadelphia and Dallas this season, it’ll be a hard one to call. The last day of the regular season is going to be epic, roll on October 27.
Below is how the standings in each conference look right now, as only the top five make the playoffs.
4. Houston 44pts (4 games left) – Montreal (H), Sporting KC (H), New York (H), D.C. United (A)
5. Philly 42 (4) – Toronto (H), D.C. United (A), Montreal (A), Sporting KC (H)
6. Columbus 41 (3) – Sporting KC (H), New England (A), New England (H)
7. NE 41 (4) – New York (A), Montreal (A), Columbus (H), Columbus (A)
8. Chicago 40 (4) – D.C. United (A), FC Dallas (A), Toronto (H), New York (A)
4. LA 45pts (4 games left) – Chivas (H), Montreal (H), San Jose (H), Seattle (A)
5. Colorado 45 (4) – Seattle (H), San Jose (A), Vancouver (H), Vancouver (A)
6. San Jose 44 (3) – Colorado (H), LA (A), FC Dallas (H)
7. Vancouver 41 (4) – Portland (H), Seattle (A), Colorado (A), Colorado (H)
8. Dallas 40 (4) – RSL (A), Chicago (H), Seattle (H), San Jose (A)
Sep 1, 2014, 9:38 PM EDT
In the end, the player had to come from the nine-goal thriller at Goodison Park.
Sep 1, 2014, 8:48 PM EDT
Rebecca Lowe, Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe bring you plenty of analysis on the summer transfer window’s Deadline Day.
Sep 1, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Passing or failing? Take a gander at how each Premier League team fared.
Sep 1, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
Falcao signs for United, arrives on loan from Monaco with view to a permanent transfer.
Sep 1, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Manchester United’s Danny Welbeck went away to London for international break, and won’t return to the club after sealing a move to Arsenal.
Sep 1, 2014, 7:26 PM EDT
Nantes, Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa are all surprising early-season teams, and Americans are playing big roles in each club’s success.
Sep 1, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT
The biggest confirmed transfers on Deadline Day including Premier League teams.
Sep 1, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT
If Andre Villas-Boas thought Emmanuel Adebayor was hard to handle, wait til he gets a load of this American character.
Sep 1, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Alderweireld arrives on loan, as Mane deal agreed.
Sep 1, 2014, 6:23 PM EDT
Negredo leaves City, heads back to Spain to play for Valencia.
Sep 1, 2014, 5:55 PM EDT
Watch live online, right here.
Sep 1, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
Hull busy on Deadline Day as Ramirez join on loan, Ben Arfa could follow, late on Deadline Day.
Sep 1, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT
In the words of NHL commentator Rick Jeanneret, roll the highlight reel for Ibra, Cavani and PSG, and the lowlight reel for one poor keeper.
Sep 1, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Not a huge risk for Arsenal, but certainly a good bit of business for United. Could Welbeck become the next Daniel Sturridge?
Sep 1, 2014, 4:18 PM EDT
Jermain Defoe, Danny Welbeck and Hatem Ben Arfa all make one last run through the rumor mill as the deadline draws near.
Sep 1, 2014, 4:11 PM EDT
McArthur and Fryers arrive at Selhurst Park.
Sep 1, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
The Dutch international rejoins his World Cup boss for four seasons at “the biggest club in the world.”
Sep 1, 2014, 3:32 PM EDT
What originally was thought to be a steal is turning out to be quite a hit to Manchester United’s wallet.
Sep 1, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
AC Milan made the terrible mistake of confirming a deal before it was complete, and now they’re forced to rescind their confirmation.
Sep 1, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Time running out for U.S. national team star to seal his move away from Stoke.
- Premier League transfer window grades – Which team did the best business? 0
- Done Deal: Radamel Falcao completes move to Manchester United 1
- Done Deal: Better late than never, Arsenal seals deal with Welbeck 2
- Americans Abroad wrap: Guzan stays unbeaten, Lichaj & Bedoya thrive 1
- Done Deal: Listing all the Deadline Day deals from the Premier League 5
- Southampton sign Toby Alderweireld, add $18 million winger Sadio Mane 0