Sep 30, 2013, 10:17 AM EDT
Believe it or not folks, tomorrow we enter October.
I know, I know, you haven’t even got you’re Halloween costume picked out or anything… but there are more important things to worry about, because the race to make the MLS playoffs is perhaps the tightest contest we’ve seen in recent years. Maybe ever.
Most teams have four games to play, a few have three, and the entire 34 game season is edging towards an incredible month in October, as 10 teams are fighting for the final four playoff spots in both the Eastern and Western Conferences. The top three sides in each conference have some breathing space, so we will leave New York, Montreal, Sporting KC, Seattle, Real Salt Lake and Portland out of the equation… for now.
We are not going to make any predictions at the moment, we will simply give you the facts. How many points each teams has, how many games they have left and who they will play. The fact that New England and Columbus square off twice in a row in the last two games of the season, as is the same scenario for Colorado and Vancouver out West, means it will truly be a ‘playoff-esque’ atmosphere as all four teams go for broke to finish fifth.
But now it’s up to you to do the hard bit, and decide who’ll make it to the postseason. With the re-emergence of teams such as Colorado, Philadelphia and Dallas this season, it’ll be a hard one to call. The last day of the regular season is going to be epic, roll on October 27.
Below is how the standings in each conference look right now, as only the top five make the playoffs.
4. Houston 44pts (4 games left) – Montreal (H), Sporting KC (H), New York (H), D.C. United (A)
5. Philly 42 (4) – Toronto (H), D.C. United (A), Montreal (A), Sporting KC (H)
6. Columbus 41 (3) – Sporting KC (H), New England (A), New England (H)
7. NE 41 (4) – New York (A), Montreal (A), Columbus (H), Columbus (A)
8. Chicago 40 (4) – D.C. United (A), FC Dallas (A), Toronto (H), New York (A)
4. LA 45pts (4 games left) – Chivas (H), Montreal (H), San Jose (H), Seattle (A)
5. Colorado 45 (4) – Seattle (H), San Jose (A), Vancouver (H), Vancouver (A)
6. San Jose 44 (3) – Colorado (H), LA (A), FC Dallas (H)
7. Vancouver 41 (4) – Portland (H), Seattle (A), Colorado (A), Colorado (H)
8. Dallas 40 (4) – RSL (A), Chicago (H), Seattle (H), San Jose (A)
May 28, 2015, 1:35 PM EDT
Burnley and Chelsea will find their names often amongst the top stat men in the Premier League this season.
May 28, 2015, 12:57 PM EDT
Liverpool legend will be heading to California soon, says Bruce Arena.
May 28, 2015, 12:08 PM EDT
FIFA’s long-time president has addressed the congress in Zurich about the shocking allegations of corruption.
May 28, 2015, 11:25 AM EDT
UEFA to discuss possibility of walking away from FIFA in Berlin next month.
May 28, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT
UEFA’s chief pleads with Blatter to walk away as world soccer’s governing body is in ruins.
May 28, 2015, 9:31 AM EDT
PHOTOS & VIDEO: Women’s players are available in the FIFA video game series for the first time.
May 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Former Valencia, Liverpool boss has called time in Naples as his hometown is calling.
May 28, 2015, 7:51 AM EDT
The Russian president finds it “odd” that the FBI is chasing down FIFA officials…
May 28, 2015, 12:53 AM EDT
Juninho’s early PK is all the Galaxy need, as they climb to 4th in the Western Conference. RSL, meanwhile, are on the outside looking in.
May 28, 2015, 12:43 AM EDT
17 MLS teams will entire this year’s US Open Cup in the 4th round. On Wednesday, they learned who they’ll face.
May 28, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
Wins in May don’t get much more “must-win” than this one. PDX tops the East’s top team.
May 27, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
According to his agent, Balotelli is going nowhere this summer. He’ll stay and fight for his place next season.
May 27, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
11 current and former officials from around the world have been provisionally banned from all football-related activities.
May 27, 2015, 5:23 PM EDT
Rog and Davo relive the Premier League’s season finale, including squeaky bum time at the bottom of the table.
May 27, 2015, 4:42 PM EDT
It was a thrilling Europa League final. Sevilla are back-to-back Europa League champions, and into next year’s Champions League.
May 27, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT
Sergio Aguero was the Premier League’s top goalscorer this season, but was he the best attacker in the league? He has plenty of competition.
May 27, 2015, 3:23 PM EDT
After leading the Black Cats to Premier League safety, “The Little General” has announced he won’t return to the Stadium of Light next season.
May 27, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Goal scorers, goal creators, ball winners, possession destroyers — the list of top-10 midfielders has a little bit of everything.
May 27, 2015, 2:43 PM EDT
“Today’s events are a disaster for FIFA and tarnish the image of football as a whole. “
May 27, 2015, 2:17 PM EDT
The most controversial figure in world soccer has broken his silence.
- By the numbers: 2014-15 Premier League season in review 0
- Sepp Blatter transcript in full; admits “shame and humiliation” of FIFA scandal 2
- UEFA could leave FIFA if Blatter stays on, as support for Prince Ali grows 16
- Sepp Blatter refuses to quit as FIFA president despite plea from UEFA’s Michel Platini 7
- Russia, Vladimir Putin criticize US government for “illegal persecution” of FIFA 18
- FIFA ethics committee bans 11 current, former officials from all football-related activities 7