Sep 30, 2013, 3:12 PM EDT
After being barely caught offside in the first two minutes, Everton striker Romelu Lukaku would not be denied a goal for long.
In the fifth minute, he placed a shot from inside the area neatly into the goal, after winger Kevin Mirallas jolted through the Newcastle defense on the right-hand side. His pace created the goal, and Lukaku’s calm finish sealed the early lead.
Lukaku went up for a long ball from goalkeeper Tim Howard, causing a loose ball that Mirallas corralled and maneuvered easily past Newcastle left back Davide Santon. From there, Lukaku ran between the center backs and found a soft space to exploit for the easy tap-in.
- Xavi breaks record for Champions League appearances 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: PSG beat Barcelona, Chelsea top Sporting 0
- Manchester City 1-1 AS Roma: Italians frustrate City as European woe continues 0
- Sporting CP 0-1 Chelsea: Blues win chippy UCL affair in Lisbon 0
- Follow live – UEFA Champions League: Manchester City vs. AS Roma 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer power rankings: More movement, just not No.1 1