Sep 30, 2013, 3:12 PM EDT
After being barely caught offside in the first two minutes, Everton striker Romelu Lukaku would not be denied a goal for long.
In the fifth minute, he placed a shot from inside the area neatly into the goal, after winger Kevin Mirallas jolted through the Newcastle defense on the right-hand side. His pace created the goal, and Lukaku’s calm finish sealed the early lead.
Lukaku went up for a long ball from goalkeeper Tim Howard, causing a loose ball that Mirallas corralled and maneuvered easily past Newcastle left back Davide Santon. From there, Lukaku ran between the center backs and found a soft space to exploit for the easy tap-in.
- USA vs. Guatemala preview: USMNT’s final tune-up before 2015 Gold Cup 0
- 2015 Gold Cup – Group A preview: USMNT favorites over Honduras, Panama, Haiti 0
- Clint Dempsey replaced by Michael Bradley as USMNT captain for Gold Cup 5
- Despite devastating World Cup exit, England’s women inspired a nation 8
- US ask Switzerland to extradite seven FIFA officials 0
- The world wants Laura Bassett to know that her own goal is nothing to be ashamed of… 10