Sep 30, 2013, 3:12 PM EST
After being barely caught offside in the first two minutes, Everton striker Romelu Lukaku would not be denied a goal for long.
In the fifth minute, he placed a shot from inside the area neatly into the goal, after winger Kevin Mirallas jolted through the Newcastle defense on the right-hand side. His pace created the goal, and Lukaku’s calm finish sealed the early lead.
Lukaku went up for a long ball from goalkeeper Tim Howard, causing a loose ball that Mirallas corralled and maneuvered easily past Newcastle left back Davide Santon. From there, Lukaku ran between the center backs and found a soft space to exploit for the easy tap-in.
- Wednesday’s Premier League roundup: Chelsea, Man City win; six of top seven prevail 0
- Jose Mourinho says his Chelsea team “were brothers on the pitch” in crucial win 0
- West Ham United 0-1 Chelsea: Hazard’s header enough for league leaders 0
- Newcastle United 0-1 Manchester United: Krul gaffe spoils Jonas return 1
- Swansea’s Bafetimbi Gomis stretchered off the pitch after appearing to collapse 1
- Watch Live: West Ham United vs. Chelsea (Lineups and Live Stream) 0