Sep 30, 2013, 3:12 PM EST
After being barely caught offside in the first two minutes, Everton striker Romelu Lukaku would not be denied a goal for long.
In the fifth minute, he placed a shot from inside the area neatly into the goal, after winger Kevin Mirallas jolted through the Newcastle defense on the right-hand side. His pace created the goal, and Lukaku’s calm finish sealed the early lead.
Lukaku went up for a long ball from goalkeeper Tim Howard, causing a loose ball that Mirallas corralled and maneuvered easily past Newcastle left back Davide Santon. From there, Lukaku ran between the center backs and found a soft space to exploit for the easy tap-in.
- Premier League Playback: When will Arsenal, Liverpool snap out of their funk? 1
- 2014’s Top Ten moments in Premier League – Numbers 5-1 3
- Watch Live: Stoke City vs. Chelsea (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- 2014’s Top Ten moments in Premier League – Numbers 10-6 0
- NBC Sports to air first-ever “Premier League Breakaway” show on New Year’s Day 0
- DeAndre Yedlin granted work permit, heading to Tottenham Hotspur 3