Sep 30, 2013, 3:44 PM EST
Everton knows how to score from the long ball, too.
Tim Howard launched a clearance out of the back in the 37th minute that bounced through Newcastle United defender Fabricio Coloccini and goalkeeper Tim Krul under pressure from striker Romelu Lukaku. In the end, Lukaku walked the ball into the back of the net.
Through the first 40 minutes, Everton has completed 180 of its 210 attempted passes, only 21 attempts of which have been long balls. The Toffees are showing what true possession does, opening up spaces for all types of passing.
Near the end of the first half, Everton is picking Newcastle apart. With a 3-0 deficit, the Magpies’ confidence (what’s left of it) is wavering.
- Report: Chelsea join Manchester United in chase for Nathaniel Clyne 1
- CONCACAF Champions League: D.C. United battered by Alajualense, 5-2 1
- Keller, Hejduk, Conrad headline 13 new eligibles for National Soccer HOF 0
- Europa League roundup: Tottenham, Liverpool out; Everton, La Liga sides advance 0
- Besiktas 1-0 (1-1) Liverpool: Arslan makes, Lovren misses final PK as Reds go out of Europe 8
- Fiorentina ousts Tottenham from the Europa League with 2-0 win at the Stadio Artemio Franchi 1