Sep 30, 2013, 3:44 PM EDT
Everton knows how to score from the long ball, too.
Tim Howard launched a clearance out of the back in the 37th minute that bounced through Newcastle United defender Fabricio Coloccini and goalkeeper Tim Krul under pressure from striker Romelu Lukaku. In the end, Lukaku walked the ball into the back of the net.
Through the first 40 minutes, Everton has completed 180 of its 210 attempted passes, only 21 attempts of which have been long balls. The Toffees are showing what true possession does, opening up spaces for all types of passing.
Near the end of the first half, Everton is picking Newcastle apart. With a 3-0 deficit, the Magpies’ confidence (what’s left of it) is wavering.
- Houston Dynamo land USMNT legend DaMarcus Beasley 0
- Watch Live: Liverpool vs. AS Roma (Lineups and Discuss) 1
- USMNT prospect Gedion Zelalem on Arsenal’s roster for Red Bulls match 4
- Stripping Russia of World Cup 2018? Germany makes the argument 6
- New York City FC to announce “major signing” on Thursday… Frank Lampard? 7
- PHOTOS: What if your college was a professional soccer team? They could look like this 7