Paolo Di Canio thinks he got a raw deal at Sunderland

Oct 1, 2013, 1:15 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-WEST BROM-SUNDERLAND Getty Images

In his first major public statement since his firing from Sunderland, Paolo Di Canio defended his tenure at the club, claiming he should have been given more time.

“When I joined the club last season with the aim of saving them from relegation I was happy to be offered the opportunity to manage in the Premier League,” Di Canio said in a written statement to Sky Sports News.

“I walked into a challenging situation but achieved what I was asked to do, the highlight of which was the fantastic performance and win against Newcastle, which is something I will always remember.

“When you bring in 14 new players, many from overseas and very few with Premiership experience it is going to take time for them to adapt to the English game and to gel as a team. As I have said many times, I love English football and I feel that my time at the club has been unfairly cut short as given the chance, I am certain that had I been allowed longer, I would have been able to develop the team to achieve the success Sunderland fans desire.

“There has been a lot written in the media in recent days, much of it wholly untrue. There was no training ground bust-up as some are reporting and many of the players have since sent me messages thanking me for my time as their manager and helping them to improve as footballers.

“We could see that results had not gone as well as any of us had hoped, but I felt as a team we could turn things around.

“I remain confident in my ability and I want to manage again in England as soon as I can. When things like this happen it is important to take something positive from it. I have learnt a lot from my brief time at Sunderland and I am sure that this will only make me a better manager in my next job.

“Even though my time at the club ended prematurely, I would like to thank Sunderland for giving me my first opportunity to be a Premier League manager.”

According to John O’Shea, the Italian manager was ousted from his post after several players made a stand following the 3-0 defeat to West Brom on September 21st. The players stood up to Di Canio during a training ground meeting the following day and later revolted by going to the club’s hierarchy and complaining about the Italian’s style of management.

Few will show Di Canio sympathy over his termination or agree with the 45-year-old that he deserved more time. His barbaric training regime and refusal to allow everything from mobile phones to ice inside of cola, wore his player’s spirits thin. Not to mention the public humiliation they suffered when Di Canio would call players out by name during press conferences.

And while it is true that Di Canio had 14 new players – many of whom were brought in by Sunderland’s Director of Football, Roberto De Fanti – his squad’s poor record was only one reason for his firing. In this situation it was clear that his poor treatment of the players around him, and the ensuing low morale it caused, trumped any sensitivity he should be afforded because of new personnel.

Latest Posts
  1. Antoine Griezmann bursts into the spotlight as Atletico downs Bilbao

Dec 21, 2014, 11:59 PM EST

Antoine+Griezmann+Getafe+CF+v+Club+Atletico+wVX6J_Xdokul

Antoine Griezmann breaks out with three goals in Atletico’s 4-1 result over Athletic Bilbao.

2. A day of Ronaldo: Real Madrid star erects statue of himself, thinks Real can win Champions League again

Dec 21, 2014, 10:21 PM EST

FBL-ESP-LIGA-REALMADRID-BARCELONA FBL-ESP-LIGA-REALMADRID-BARCELONA

Cristiano Ronaldo has made headlines twice today, for erecting a statue of himself and claiming Real Madrid could repeat in the Champions League.

3. WATCH: Tim Howard discusses autobiography ‘The Keeper’

Dec 21, 2014, 8:17 PM EST

tim_howard Getty Images

Tim Howard converses about his recently released autobiography, “The Keeper.”

4. Eyeing France national team call-up, AC Milan’s Jérémy Ménez keeps showing off his skills

Dec 21, 2014, 7:40 PM EST

Jeremy+Menez+qojlhLjziL0m Getty Images

Jeremy Menez has done a fantastic job as AC Milan’s primary attacker, and he’s primarily aiming for the French national team call-up.

5. Manager Ally McCoist exits Rangers, goes on gardening leave

Dec 21, 2014, 6:20 PM EST

Ally McCoist Getty Images

Ally McCoist has left Scottish Championship team Rangers, as the club has recognized the former star striker is now on “gardening leave.”

6. Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge to return from injury in January, according to manager

Dec 21, 2014, 4:55 PM EST

Manchester City Liverpool Soccer AP

According to Brendan Rogers, Liverpool’s prime attacker, Daniel Sturridge, will make his return from a multi-month injury in early January.

7. With his derby success, Adam Johnson thinks Newcastle United fans ‘must hate him’

Dec 21, 2014, 4:05 PM EST

adam_johnson AP

Sunderland winger Adam Johnson on game-winner and Tyne-Wear derby triumphs: “Three years in a row, they must hate me here!”

8. VIDEO: Poor finishing leaves Brendan Rodgers “deflated” despite late draw

Dec 21, 2014, 3:39 PM EST

Rodgers Getty Images

Brendan Rodgers gives his thoughts after a 2-2 draw despite what he called “dominance” on the ball.

9. VIDEO: Arsene Wenger regretfully admits draw with Liverpool fair

Dec 21, 2014, 3:12 PM EST

Wenger AP

With polarizing halves separating the teams, Arsene Wenger said a draw was the correct result based on performance.

10. Cristiano Ronaldo passes up Platini handshake after Ballon d’Or comments

Dec 21, 2014, 2:29 PM EST

Ronaldo Getty Images

Cristiano Ronaldo appeared to bring a grudge with him to Morocco.

11. VIDEO: Alan Pardew says he pushed Newcastle too hard late in derby loss

Dec 21, 2014, 1:44 PM EST

Pardew AP

With Newcastle yielding late, Alan Pardew thinks he may have left his team a little too exposed as the clock ticked towards the final minute.

12. Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal: Wounded Skrtel turns away Gunners at the death (video)

Dec 21, 2014, 1:08 PM EST

Skrtel Getty Images

Martin Skrtel returned from a nasty injury and took full advantage of the resulting stopptage time.

13. John Brooks, a week after scoring, has forgettable match in 5-0 thumping

Dec 21, 2014, 11:58 AM EST

Brooks Getty Images

A day to forget for the American central defender in Germany’s top flight.

14. Newcastle 0-1 Sunderland: Johnson sinks Newcastle again (video)

Dec 21, 2014, 10:26 AM EST

SunderlandNewcastle

The boyhood Newcastle fan scored at St. James Park for the third year in a row as Sunderland stole the Tyne-Wear derby late.

15. Watch Live: Liverpool vs Arsenal (Lineups and Live Stream)

Dec 21, 2014, 10:16 AM EST

Sterling Getty Images

Raheem Sterling looks to be the lone attacking option for Liverpool as Brendan Rodgers has left both his available strikers on the bench.

16. WATCH: Watch Lionel Messi’s silky first touch lead to a stellar goal

Dec 21, 2014, 8:52 AM EST

Messi Getty Images

A magnetizing first touch leads to a meaningless but nonetheless beautiful goal by the man who gives us magic weekly.

17. Watch Live: Newcastle vs Sunderland (Lineups and Live Stream)

Dec 21, 2014, 7:53 AM EST

PardewPoyet Getty Images

The heated Tyne-Wear derby has brought us goals and fireworks of many kinds, and will be no different today as Sunderland looks to win four in a row over Newcastle for the first time ever.

18. Tim Howard says Frank Lampard should leave Man City, start MLS season with NYCFC

Dec 20, 2014, 10:54 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-MAN CITY-CRYSTAL PALACE FBL-ENG-PR-MAN CITY-CRYSTAL PALACE

Howard doesn’t think Lampard will start the MLS season with NYCFC, although he says he should.

Week 17: PL Saturday recap