Paolo Di Canio thinks he got a raw deal at Sunderland

Oct 1, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT

FBL-ENG-PR-WEST BROM-SUNDERLAND Getty Images

In his first major public statement since his firing from Sunderland, Paolo Di Canio defended his tenure at the club, claiming he should have been given more time.

“When I joined the club last season with the aim of saving them from relegation I was happy to be offered the opportunity to manage in the Premier League,” Di Canio said in a written statement to Sky Sports News.

“I walked into a challenging situation but achieved what I was asked to do, the highlight of which was the fantastic performance and win against Newcastle, which is something I will always remember.

“When you bring in 14 new players, many from overseas and very few with Premiership experience it is going to take time for them to adapt to the English game and to gel as a team. As I have said many times, I love English football and I feel that my time at the club has been unfairly cut short as given the chance, I am certain that had I been allowed longer, I would have been able to develop the team to achieve the success Sunderland fans desire.

“There has been a lot written in the media in recent days, much of it wholly untrue. There was no training ground bust-up as some are reporting and many of the players have since sent me messages thanking me for my time as their manager and helping them to improve as footballers.

“We could see that results had not gone as well as any of us had hoped, but I felt as a team we could turn things around.

“I remain confident in my ability and I want to manage again in England as soon as I can. When things like this happen it is important to take something positive from it. I have learnt a lot from my brief time at Sunderland and I am sure that this will only make me a better manager in my next job.

“Even though my time at the club ended prematurely, I would like to thank Sunderland for giving me my first opportunity to be a Premier League manager.”

According to John O’Shea, the Italian manager was ousted from his post after several players made a stand following the 3-0 defeat to West Brom on September 21st. The players stood up to Di Canio during a training ground meeting the following day and later revolted by going to the club’s hierarchy and complaining about the Italian’s style of management.

Few will show Di Canio sympathy over his termination or agree with the 45-year-old that he deserved more time. His barbaric training regime and refusal to allow everything from mobile phones to ice inside of cola, wore his player’s spirits thin. Not to mention the public humiliation they suffered when Di Canio would call players out by name during press conferences.

And while it is true that Di Canio had 14 new players – many of whom were brought in by Sunderland’s Director of Football, Roberto De Fanti – his squad’s poor record was only one reason for his firing. In this situation it was clear that his poor treatment of the players around him, and the ensuing low morale it caused, trumped any sensitivity he should be afforded because of new personnel.

Latest Posts
  1. Galatasaray’s 3-D Tifo has demanded all others to step their game up

Oct 22, 2014, 11:04 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-10-22 at 10.48.58 PM

How did the Galatasaray supporters pull off this Tifo before Wednesday’s match against Borussia Dortmund? How?!?

2. Thursday’s Europa League preview: Spurs go Greek, Everton faces Lille

Oct 22, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT

Britain Soccer Europa League AP

The pair of Premier League clubs remaining in the competition face quite different tests on Thursday.

3. PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum?

Oct 22, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT

Nick Hagglund; Michael Bradley AP

Perhaps it isn’t the sexiest year for rookies in Major League Soccer, but there’s a quartet of names set to stick around for a while.

4. Arsene Wenger: We went big and it paid off against Anderlecht

Oct 22, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT

Belgium Soccer Champions League AP

“I had hope, it maybe didn’t look like it, but it happened,” Wenger said.

5. It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14

Oct 22, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT

James Rodriguez AP

“So overall, it’s a squad with a lot of experience playing at the highest level, and this will be another great benchmark for us,” Klinsmann said.

6. Brendan Rodgers remarks on Balotelli and Pepe’s halftime shirt swap

Oct 22, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

Britain Soccer Champions League AP

Of course many are claiming this “is the beginning of end” for Balotelli on Merseyside. That seems a bit much.

7. VIDEO: Top 10 goals of the MLS season (heading into the final weekend)

Oct 22, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT

Erik Hurtado AP

Here’s the bar, Week 33 of Major League Soccer: Please feel free to raise it.

8. UEFA Champions League roundup: Madrid clubs, Borussia Dortmund roll

Oct 22, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, AP

We are at the halfway point in Groups A-D, and some English clubs are concerned about their fortunes to be sure.

9. Three things we learned as Real Madrid rout Liverpool

Oct 22, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT

It was a night to forget for the home side, as Real ruled at Anfield. Here’s what we learned.

10. Arsenal’s Podolski, Gibbs break Belgian hearts in left-for-late win

Oct 22, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT

Belgium Soccer Champions League AP

The 21-year-old Honduran international did what a dangerous Alexis Sanchez couldn’t, but Arsenal was rescued late.

11. Michel Platini denies making ebola comments which angered African Confederation

Oct 22, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT

Platini Getty Images

The CAF claimed Platini said something he didn’t, and it hurt his feelings.

12. Setting the scene at Anfield, as Liverpool host Real Madrid in UEFA Champions League

Oct 22, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT

FBL-EUR-C1-LIVERPOOL-REALMADRID FBL-EUR-C1-LIVERPOOL-REALMADRID

Here’s what it’s like at Anfield, as Liverpool host Real Madrid in the UEFA Champions League.

13. FOLLOW LIVE – Champions League returns for Wednesday slate

Oct 22, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT

Ronaldo Getty Images

With yesterday’s goal frenzy, will today give us the same excitement?

14. Robinho being investigated for sexually assaulting teenager

Oct 22, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT

Robinho Getty Images

This is the second time Robinho is under investigation for such an alleged incident.

15. David Villa’s time in Australia could be up already

Oct 22, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT

Villa Getty Images

NYCFC’s first Designated Player will be returning to the United States to fulfill commercial and marketing obligations, and it’s unclear whether he will make his way back to Australia to finish out his loan.

16. WATCH: Geoff Cameron says he’s fighting for a central position

Oct 22, 2014, 11:36 AM EDT

Cameron Getty Images

Now that he’s back from a hernia problem, the American told Stoke’s YouTube channel that he is no longer a right-back and the club is aware of where he wants to play.

17. Men in Blazers podcast: Whiplash from QPR-Liverpool, Klinsmann-Garber, plus Josh Lambo

Oct 22, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT

meninblazers

Rog and Davo gain whiplash from QPR-Liverpool, and the Jurgen Klinsmann-Don Garber saga.

18. Portland Timbers out of CONCACAF CL after loss in Honduras

Oct 22, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT

TimbersOlimpia Getty Images

The MLS side was eliminated from group stage play on an away goals tiebreaker as Honduran side Olimpia goes through.

PST Extra: Can United beat Chelsea?