Paolo Di Canio thinks he got a raw deal at Sunderland

Oct 1, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT

FBL-ENG-PR-WEST BROM-SUNDERLAND Getty Images

In his first major public statement since his firing from Sunderland, Paolo Di Canio defended his tenure at the club, claiming he should have been given more time.

“When I joined the club last season with the aim of saving them from relegation I was happy to be offered the opportunity to manage in the Premier League,” Di Canio said in a written statement to Sky Sports News.

“I walked into a challenging situation but achieved what I was asked to do, the highlight of which was the fantastic performance and win against Newcastle, which is something I will always remember.

“When you bring in 14 new players, many from overseas and very few with Premiership experience it is going to take time for them to adapt to the English game and to gel as a team. As I have said many times, I love English football and I feel that my time at the club has been unfairly cut short as given the chance, I am certain that had I been allowed longer, I would have been able to develop the team to achieve the success Sunderland fans desire.

“There has been a lot written in the media in recent days, much of it wholly untrue. There was no training ground bust-up as some are reporting and many of the players have since sent me messages thanking me for my time as their manager and helping them to improve as footballers.

“We could see that results had not gone as well as any of us had hoped, but I felt as a team we could turn things around.

“I remain confident in my ability and I want to manage again in England as soon as I can. When things like this happen it is important to take something positive from it. I have learnt a lot from my brief time at Sunderland and I am sure that this will only make me a better manager in my next job.

“Even though my time at the club ended prematurely, I would like to thank Sunderland for giving me my first opportunity to be a Premier League manager.”

According to John O’Shea, the Italian manager was ousted from his post after several players made a stand following the 3-0 defeat to West Brom on September 21st. The players stood up to Di Canio during a training ground meeting the following day and later revolted by going to the club’s hierarchy and complaining about the Italian’s style of management.

Few will show Di Canio sympathy over his termination or agree with the 45-year-old that he deserved more time. His barbaric training regime and refusal to allow everything from mobile phones to ice inside of cola, wore his player’s spirits thin. Not to mention the public humiliation they suffered when Di Canio would call players out by name during press conferences.

And while it is true that Di Canio had 14 new players – many of whom were brought in by Sunderland’s Director of Football, Roberto De Fanti – his squad’s poor record was only one reason for his firing. In this situation it was clear that his poor treatment of the players around him, and the ensuing low morale it caused, trumped any sensitivity he should be afforded because of new personnel.

Latest Posts
  1. CCL: Two goals from Toni push Sporting Kansas City past Saprissa

Sep 18, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT

Sporting Kansas City logo

Sporting took a big step toward getting out of Group 2 thanks to its Spanish winger.

2. Sloppy USWNT 4-0 win over Mexico adds fuel to turf conversation fire

Sep 18, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT

photo (1)

Awkward bounces made a disorganized El Tri look awful and the high-powered USWNT look pedestrian in a 4-0 decision on Thursday night.

3. MLS’s new logo: Reddit (yes, Reddit) may have a way to solve the league’s new problem

Sep 18, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT

MLS_crest_club_colors

Users decided to make the new art’s white space into a plus, ditching the high brow concept in favor of more appealing products.

4. MLS Preview: Real Salt Lake vs. Colorado Rapids

Sep 18, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT

Portland Timbers v Real Salt Lake Getty Images

NBCSN’s first of three weekend broadcasts takes place tomorrow night at Rio Tinto Stadium.

5. FA chairman: England “might well bid for” Euro 2028

Sep 18, 2014, 7:41 PM EDT

greg_dyke Getty Images

It’s 14 years off, but The FA is still planning to make a push.

6. Europe League roundup: Everton big winners at home; Spurs left with draw on the road

Sep 18, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT

seamus_coleman AP

Roberto Martinez makes an impressive European debut, while Mauricio Pochettino sees him team go without a shot on target.

7. It’s not too late for Major League Soccer to turn away from its new logo

Sep 18, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT

don_garber_mls_logo AP

MLS has admitted failure before. Today’s new art may prove to be another idea the league should cast off.

8. Premier League Power Rankings: Red Devils and Villans on the up

Sep 18, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT

Manchester United v Queens Park Rangers - Premier League Getty Images

With Week four in the books, here’s how the PL teams stack up in our rankings of power.

9. Reactions to “MLS Next” as North America’s top-flight launches rebrand

Sep 18, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT

MLS_crest_club_colors

What are people saying about Major League Soccer’s new look?

10. Arsene Wenger’s biggest regret is missing out on Cristiano Ronaldo

Sep 18, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT

Everton v Arsenal - Premier League Getty Images

Wenger: “I was so close to signing Cristiano Ronaldo.”

11. Auf Wiedersehen! Felix Magath out as Fulham boss after terrible tenure

Sep 18, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT

STOKE ON TRENT, ENGLAND - MAY 03: Fulham manager Felix Magath reacts as his side are relegated following their defeat in the Barclays Premier League match between Stoke City and Fulham at the Britannia Stadium on May 3, 2014 in Stoke on Trent, England. Getty Images

After just four wins from 20 games, Fulham’s owner has seen enough from Magath.

12. Brendan Rodgers on Liverpool’s growing pains: “There’s no magic formula”

Sep 18, 2014, 12:37 PM EDT

There's nothing nice about watching your side squander a three goal lead to end up with a draw. Getty Images

Rodgers’ side have had an up and down start to the season. Is it the sign of things to come?

13. Europa League preview: Will Everton, Tottenham reach knockout stages?

Sep 18, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT

tim_howard Getty Images

Here’s what lies in store for Everton and Tottenham as Thursday night soccer begins.

14. Taking back time: FIFA says officials must return expensive watches

Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Brazil v Germany: Semi Final - 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Getty Images

Parmigiani watches worth over $25,000 dished out by Brazilian federation to FIFA’s exec. members must be returned.

15. Arsenal linked with three free agents, as defensive woes continue

Sep 18, 2014, 10:18 AM EDT

FC Lokomotiv Moscow v FC Zenit St. Petersburg - Premier League Getty Images

Gunners need reinforcements in defense, so who are they making a move for?

16. Ole Gunnar is gone: Solksjaer out as Cardiff City manager

Sep 18, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT

Blackburn Rovers v Cardiff City - Sky Bet Championship Getty Images

Norwegian boss let go after just 9 wins in 30 games in charge of the Bluebirds.

17. Chelsea have Diego Costa injury concern

Sep 18, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT

Chelsea FC v FC Schalke 04 - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

Star striker struggling with persistent hamstring problem ahead of Manchester City clash.

18. PHOTO: MLS unveils new logo. What do you think?

Sep 18, 2014, 8:19 AM EDT

MLSLogoEdit1

What do you guys think of the brand new MLS logo?

19. US move up one place in latest FIFA rankings; Wales the big winners

Sep 18, 2014, 7:40 AM EDT

Michael Orozco, Mix Diskerud, Matej vydra AP

Klinsmann’s men move up after Czech Republic win. See where they’re ranked in the top 20.

20. Fire-ravaged dog home claims Mario Balotelli made sizable donation

Sep 17, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT

Balo

A dog home ravaged by fire last week believes Mario Balotelli has made a sizable donation.

Breaking down Man City vs. Chelsea