Paolo Di Canio thinks he got a raw deal at Sunderland

Oct 1, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT

FBL-ENG-PR-WEST BROM-SUNDERLAND Getty Images

In his first major public statement since his firing from Sunderland, Paolo Di Canio defended his tenure at the club, claiming he should have been given more time.

“When I joined the club last season with the aim of saving them from relegation I was happy to be offered the opportunity to manage in the Premier League,” Di Canio said in a written statement to Sky Sports News.

“I walked into a challenging situation but achieved what I was asked to do, the highlight of which was the fantastic performance and win against Newcastle, which is something I will always remember.

“When you bring in 14 new players, many from overseas and very few with Premiership experience it is going to take time for them to adapt to the English game and to gel as a team. As I have said many times, I love English football and I feel that my time at the club has been unfairly cut short as given the chance, I am certain that had I been allowed longer, I would have been able to develop the team to achieve the success Sunderland fans desire.

“There has been a lot written in the media in recent days, much of it wholly untrue. There was no training ground bust-up as some are reporting and many of the players have since sent me messages thanking me for my time as their manager and helping them to improve as footballers.

“We could see that results had not gone as well as any of us had hoped, but I felt as a team we could turn things around.

“I remain confident in my ability and I want to manage again in England as soon as I can. When things like this happen it is important to take something positive from it. I have learnt a lot from my brief time at Sunderland and I am sure that this will only make me a better manager in my next job.

“Even though my time at the club ended prematurely, I would like to thank Sunderland for giving me my first opportunity to be a Premier League manager.”

According to John O’Shea, the Italian manager was ousted from his post after several players made a stand following the 3-0 defeat to West Brom on September 21st. The players stood up to Di Canio during a training ground meeting the following day and later revolted by going to the club’s hierarchy and complaining about the Italian’s style of management.

Few will show Di Canio sympathy over his termination or agree with the 45-year-old that he deserved more time. His barbaric training regime and refusal to allow everything from mobile phones to ice inside of cola, wore his player’s spirits thin. Not to mention the public humiliation they suffered when Di Canio would call players out by name during press conferences.

And while it is true that Di Canio had 14 new players – many of whom were brought in by Sunderland’s Director of Football, Roberto De Fanti – his squad’s poor record was only one reason for his firing. In this situation it was clear that his poor treatment of the players around him, and the ensuing low morale it caused, trumped any sensitivity he should be afforded because of new personnel.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Southampton set to swap Dani Osvaldo for Inter Milan’s Saphir Taidar

Jul 29, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT

Norwich City v Southampton - Premier League Getty Images

Big day for headlines coming out of Southampton but this one looks to be quite promising for Saints fans.

2. Luis Felipe Scolari hired by Gremio for third stint with Brazilian club

Jul 29, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

Brazil - 2014 FIFA World Cup Training Camp - Day 1 Getty Images

Twenty-seven years after his first stint with Gremio, Luis Felipe Scolari is returning to the Brazilian side as its new manager.

3. WATCH: Bojan Krkic scores first goal for Stoke City in 2-1 defeat to Schalke

Jul 29, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT

Bojan Krkic AP

Krkic, who made the $6.7 million move from Barcelona last week, scored a cracker of a first goal for Stoke City.

4. Report: Carlos Tevez’ stepfather freed by Argentine kidnappers

Jul 29, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT

Juventus v Atalanta BC - Serie A Getty Images

Tevez’s family was then phoned and told to deliver a ransom of $5,000 (40,000 pesos).

5. Southampton chairman claims club will reinvest $165M in this transfer window

Jul 29, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT

Saints have a new Saints have a new

“Every penny of that will be up for reinvestment as transfer fees and wages,” Krueger said.

6. Ronaldinho leaves Atletico Mineiro, could be headed to MLS

Jul 29, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT

Brazil Atletico Mineiro Ronaldinho AP

Where, exactly, Ronaldinho’s future ends up is anyone’s guess.

7. WATCH: Five international, MLS games coming your way on NBC Sports this week

Jul 29, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT

PremierLeagueNBC

ICC and MLS action is in full swing in the USA this week. Watch it all online, here.

8. New York City FC sign Jacobson from Dallas, linked with Alberto Aquilani

Jul 29, 2014, 2:57 PM EDT

Montreal Impact v FC Dallas AP

Jacobson arrives in the Big Apple from Dallas. Will Aquilani join him?

9. Morgan Schneiderlin slams Southampton after Spurs move is blocked

Jul 29, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT

Southampton v Fulham - Premier League Getty Images

Now Schneiderlin wants out as Saints’ incredible exodus continues to take a turn for the worst.

10. Barcelona reveal record income levels of $711 million

Jul 29, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT

Manchester City v Barcelona - UEFA Champions League Round of 16 Getty Images

Despite not winning any silverware last season, Barcelona were big winners off the pitch.

11. Report: Carlos Tevez’s father kidnapped, held for ransom

Jul 29, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT

Aston Villa v Manchester City - Premier League Getty Images

Tevez’s father, Juan Carlos Cabral, is said to have been kidnapped in Buenos Aires and held for ransom.

12. Southampton insist Rodriguez, Schneiderlin are not for sale

Jul 29, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT

350x AP

Southampton duo are going nowhere, despite being linked with Tottenham switch.

13. Liverpool complete $17 million signing of Belgian striker Divock Origi

Jul 29, 2014, 12:37 PM EDT

Source: Liverpool FC Source: Liverpool FC

Liverpool sign talented Belgian teenager, will loan him back to Lille this season.

14. Despite calling African players “banana eaters”, Tavecchio still set to lead Italian FA

Jul 29, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT

Italy Federation Racism AP

Even after calling African players “banana eaters” this man is set lead the Italian FA.

15. Enner Valencia granted work permit, completes $20 million West Ham move

Jul 29, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT

Source: West Ham United Source: West Ham United

Valencia finally signs on, as Hammers splash the cash in search of goals.

16. Miami’s MLS future continues to hinge on downtown stadium deal

Jul 29, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT

Miami's Arquietectonica and 360 Architecture Miami's Arquietectonica and 360 Architecture

Garber: “MLS will not expand to Miami unless we have a downtown site for the stadium.”

17. Tim Howard joins NBC Sports’ Premier League broadcast team on multi-year deal

Jul 29, 2014, 9:42 AM EDT

FBL-ENG-PR-EVERTON-NEWCASTLE Getty Images

Howard to call games, be studio analyst, for up to 10 PL games on NBC Sports this season.

18. VIDEO: US stars fight – Omar Gonzalez vs. Clint Dempsey, DeAndre Yedlin

Jul 29, 2014, 9:19 AM EDT

BtrlWjcCcAAahX9

A shoving match or something more sinister in Seattle?

19. Report: Marco Reus chased by Manchester United, Barcelona, Bayern Munich

Jul 29, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT

FBL-GER-SUPERCUP-DORTMUND-BAYERN Getty Images

Borussia Dortmund star turns down new deal, alerts European giants.