Oct 1, 2013, 3:45 PM EST
A dominant first half by Arsène Wenger’s side has made the day’s marquee UEFA Champions League match into a one-sided affair, with early goals from Mesut Özil and Olivier Giroud putting Napoli, giving in their worst performance of the season, down 2-0 in North London.
The Gunners certainly deserve their share of credit, however. Though Napoli’s defense looked helpless to prevent it, a beautifully executed movement from Giroud, Aaron Ramsey, and Özïl finished with the German’s eighth minute surgical finish from just inside the penalty area. Seven minutes later, Özil returned the favor, assisting on a Giroud goal that doubled the Arsenal lead.
It’s strange to see a Rafa Benítez team defend so poorly, the team’s conservative road pose undone by poor play at the back. At the same time, this is the kind of dominant performance that feeds into the emerging Arsenal narrative. Rather than kick the ball around and be content with control over production, the Gunners showed an early ruthlessness, putting the Neopolitans to sword within the first quarter hour.
Elsewhere, and own goal just before half time has doubled Chelsea’s lead in Buchrarest, while Porto and Borussia Dortmund have also taken one-goal leads into halftime at home.
Here is your halftime snapshot, with numbers courtesy of Opta and WhoScored.com:
|G||Zenit St. Petersburg-Austria Wein [FINAL]||0-0||19-18||4-5||57-43|
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (15)
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit