Oct 3, 2013, 6:13 PM EDT
Lots of Americans saw action in the past week in domestic leagues around the world, as well as continental competitions. A usual suspect scored again, and a couple of younger players had statement performances for their clubs.
(MORE: Americans Abroad — full archive)
Follow along as we recap some of the noteworthy action from around the world:
• He just can’t stop scoring. Aron Jóhannsson‘s stunner was the game-winner for AZ Alkmaar over PSV Eindhoven on Saturday, in the 57th minute. Jóhannsson also played 90 minutes, coming out in stoppage time, in AZ’s 1-1 draw with PAOK in the Europa League on Thursday.
• You might not have heard the name Kevin Hoyos, but after the way the 20-year-old has started his season for CD Victoria, he deserves to be mentioned with the best of them. He has scored six goals in five games, two in Sunday’s 4-3 win over Deportes Savio (highlights) — including a bicycle-kick game-winner.
• Bodø / Glimt of the Norwegian second tier gained promotion to the Eliteserien after a 1-0 win over Vard on Monday. On-loan Montreal Impact defender Zarek Valentin played 90 minutes in the match, making his 22nd start of the season.
• In the Championship, Zak Whitbread kicked off his loan spell at Derby County in style, scoring in the 12th minute of a stunning 4-4 draw against Ipswich Town, in which Derby came from 4-1 behind at halftime to earn a point.
• Brad Guzan put in another impressive shift in, as Aston Villa stunned Manchester City, 3-2, on Saturday. Guzan has looked sharp once again this season, and he recovered from conceding a fairly soft goal to Yaya Touré to have a solid second half.
• In an exciting 3-3 draw in which Jermaine Jones‘ Schalke led 3-1 at one point, he and Hoffenheim’s Fabian Johnson both played. Johnson played 70 minutes, while Jones went 86 minutes before being substituted.
• Rapid Vienna came from being 2-0 down at halftime to draw, 2-2, against Dynamo Kiev. Terrence Boyd played 90 minutes and picked up a yellow card for the Austrians.
• Five Americans played in Puebla’s 2-0 win over Club Tijuana on Sunday. DaMarcus Beasley and Michael Orozco played 90 minutes and were victorious, while Edgar Castillo played 90 in a losing cause, and Joe Corona, Paul Arriola and Herculez Gómez all saw time for the Xolos.
- Europa League Preview: Everton head to Russia, Spurs host Besiktas 0
- Report: Diego Maradona nearing deal to manage Palestinian National Team 1
- Three things we learned after Liverpool’s latest defeat, this time vs. Basel 5
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Arsenal cruise, Liverpool lose, Real Madrid win 1
- Arsenal 4-1 Galatasaray: Welbeck’s hat-trick leads 10-man Arsenal to victory 0
- Hat-Trick Hero: Danny Welbeck nails three in thumping of Galatasaray 1