Oct 3, 2013, 7:00 PM EST
The magic of the FA Cup is the magic of non-league and lower-league soccer. On Tuesday, St. Neots Town defender Rene Steer, who played in the Arsenal youth system, produced another special moment worth seeing.
With his club down 1-0 to Canvey Island in the replay of their FA Cup second qualifying round tie, Steer blasted a shot into the upper right-hand corner of the goal in the 71st minute. A stoppage-time goal eliminated St. Neots Town, but even a loss won’t be enough to scrub Steer’s goal from the history books.
St. Neots Town plays in the Southern League Premier Division, which is the seventh level on the English soccer pyramid. Canvey Island plays in the Isthmian League Premier Division, which is on the same rung of the ladder.
- VIDEO: PST Extra examines huge top four showdowns in Premier League 0
- Huge blow for Arsenal as Jack Wilshere is out for three months 0
- Bob Bradley talks Stabaek, job offers, offseason plans and more 0
- USA drop five places in latest FIFA world rankings; England on the up 1
- Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through 4
- Champions League roundup: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid through, tense elsewhere 3