Oct 3, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
The magic of the FA Cup is the magic of non-league and lower-league soccer. On Tuesday, St. Neots Town defender Rene Steer, who played in the Arsenal youth system, produced another special moment worth seeing.
With his club down 1-0 to Canvey Island in the replay of their FA Cup second qualifying round tie, Steer blasted a shot into the upper right-hand corner of the goal in the 71st minute. A stoppage-time goal eliminated St. Neots Town, but even a loss won’t be enough to scrub Steer’s goal from the history books.
St. Neots Town plays in the Southern League Premier Division, which is the seventh level on the English soccer pyramid. Canvey Island plays in the Isthmian League Premier Division, which is on the same rung of the ladder.
- Liverpool and AC Milan in talks over deal for Mario Balotelli 1
- Atlanta’s new MLS franchise has already sold 14,000 season tickets 7
- No signings in 2015: Barcelona’s transfer ban upheld, FIFA rejects appeal 3
- Report: Tottenham set to raid Manchester United, line up Fellaini, Hernandez deals 6
- Spanish Super Cup: Late goal allows Atlético to claim first leg draw at Real Madrid 0
- UEFA Champions League Roundup: Arsenal held; Athletic takes 1-1 draw out of Naples 1