Oct 3, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
The magic of the FA Cup is the magic of non-league and lower-league soccer. On Tuesday, St. Neots Town defender Rene Steer, who played in the Arsenal youth system, produced another special moment worth seeing.
With his club down 1-0 to Canvey Island in the replay of their FA Cup second qualifying round tie, Steer blasted a shot into the upper right-hand corner of the goal in the 71st minute. A stoppage-time goal eliminated St. Neots Town, but even a loss won’t be enough to scrub Steer’s goal from the history books.
St. Neots Town plays in the Southern League Premier Division, which is the seventh level on the English soccer pyramid. Canvey Island plays in the Isthmian League Premier Division, which is on the same rung of the ladder.
- VIDEO: Premier League 2014-15 review – Top 10 games of the season 2
- By the numbers: 2014-15 Premier League season in review 0
- Sepp Blatter transcript in full; admits “shame and humiliation” of FIFA scandal 3
- UEFA could leave FIFA if Blatter stays on, as support for Prince Ali grows 20
- Sepp Blatter refuses to quit as FIFA president despite plea from UEFA’s Michel Platini 8
- Russia, Vladimir Putin criticize US government for “illegal persecution” of FIFA 18