Oct 4, 2013, 6:49 PM EST
Manchester United manager David Moyes has told Red Devil fans that they shouldn’t expect a flurry of midseason spending despite the poor start.
“I’ll look at January but I wouldn’t want people to have big expectations about what you would sign or do in January because I don’t think January has in the main been a really good month to sign really at the top.”
Many managers use the excuse that January doesn’t provide top players at value, citing that clubs don’t wish to part with their best players midseason unless their contracts are about to run out.
Moyes added that in his view, not only is the January window not the best time to buy, but that his squad is already a strength.
“If you’re in trouble near the bottom of the league” Moyes said, “you might if you’re desperate for something but I think where we’ll be with Manchester United we’ll be looking for the top. I’ve got really, really top end players, great players to work with”
He did mention that despite low expectations for the transfer window, if something presents itself he wouldn’t hesitate to pull the trigger. “Undoubtedly we will in time try to make (the squad) better, that’s the part of the job. The job is to progress, to make progress at Man United. We’ll look to add to the squad if the right players become available.”
The former Everton manager has been criticized as United – in 12th place currently – are off to their worst Premier League start ever and their worst top-flight start in 24 years.
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- Venue Guide: Check out where the USA will play at 2014 World Cup in Brazil 5
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- Three 2014 World Cup dark horses across three continents 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"