Oct 5, 2013, 9:36 PM EST
With only a muted Higuain to deal with, Sporting Kansas City’s early goal held up in a 1-0 win at Crew Stadium. The Crew’s heroic, late bid for the playoffs – they had won three in a row, including two away from home – probably will not be enough now. Still in eighth place, the Crew would almost surely need to win tis final two matches and parlay that with significant help in order to find its way improbably into the playoffs.
Higuain and MLS Player of the Month for September Dominic Oduro had done so much to keep the Crew relevant in the playoff chase. But Higuain (pictured) was clearly not himself, not nearly as mobile as usual, and just not the influence Columbus needed.
Signs appeared early that something was wrong with the Crew’s 28-year-old attacker, as he held his right hip frequently. By the 10th minute, interim manager Brian Bliss had Ryan Finley warming up. No offense to Finley, but he is no Higuain.
By halftime, Higuain was laboring just to move slowly around the field, and he winced noticeably on any quick movements. The result was one shot in the first half and none on target for the home team. (Yes, credit the Kansas City midfield and defense, too, but it’s safe to say the visitors’ job was made far easier by Higuain’s limitations.
He remained on the field, and the Crew did push Kansas City harder, but Ike Opara’s early goal held up.
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 0
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"