Oct 5, 2013, 12:47 PM EST
Craig Gardner has Sunderland off to a dream start at the Stadium of Light, scoring against Manchester United after just five minutes!
Gardner’s goal had a bit of a comedy feel to it. Emanuele Giaccherini slipped easily past Patrice Evra before sending a low ball into the United area. The ball should’ve been easily dealt with, but instead United’s defense went to pieces. Phil Jones scuffed his clearance, sending it straight to Nemanja Vidic. The Serbian managed to bang the ball against his standing leg, with the bounce falling perfectly for Gardner. The Sunderland man didn’t hesitate, whipping his low shot past David De Gea and into the bottom corner.
It’s a dream start against United for interim manager Kevin Ball, who’s tasked with the immense job of guiding Sunderland up from dead last. Currently the Black Cats have just one point, and while a win won’t lift them out of the relegation zone, it would certainly lift their spirits.
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Chelsea win group, Man City’s late show, classy PSG 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Bayern Munich: Aguero’s hat trick hands Citizens lifeline 1
- Schalke 0-5 Chelsea: Blues with an untouchable performance against old boss 0
- Lionel Messi breaks Raul’s record for Champions League goals (video) 0
- LIVE – Champions League: Manchester City vs. Bayern Munich, Chelsea to Schalke 0
- Report: Sony will not renew sponsorship with FIFA over future World Cup shroud 3