Oct 5, 2013, 12:47 PM EST
Craig Gardner has Sunderland off to a dream start at the Stadium of Light, scoring against Manchester United after just five minutes!
Gardner’s goal had a bit of a comedy feel to it. Emanuele Giaccherini slipped easily past Patrice Evra before sending a low ball into the United area. The ball should’ve been easily dealt with, but instead United’s defense went to pieces. Phil Jones scuffed his clearance, sending it straight to Nemanja Vidic. The Serbian managed to bang the ball against his standing leg, with the bounce falling perfectly for Gardner. The Sunderland man didn’t hesitate, whipping his low shot past David De Gea and into the bottom corner.
It’s a dream start against United for interim manager Kevin Ball, who’s tasked with the immense job of guiding Sunderland up from dead last. Currently the Black Cats have just one point, and while a win won’t lift them out of the relegation zone, it would certainly lift their spirits.
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- WATCH: Premier League live on NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 29 0
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- 2014 MLS Season: Hoping & Fearing with Montreal Impact
- Top Four Serie A Teams to Meet in Couple of Crucial Encounters
- Liverpool Eyeing Valencia Midfielder Dani Parejo
- Barca Have $83M for Transfers Plus Funds Raised from Sold Players
- What am I Watching?: The Paradox of the National Team
- Preview: Seattle Sounders vs Sporting Kansas City
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keeps Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla
- Sweden Clash U.S. Women's National Team Undefeated 2-Year Record