Oct 5, 2013, 12:47 PM EST
Craig Gardner has Sunderland off to a dream start at the Stadium of Light, scoring against Manchester United after just five minutes!
Gardner’s goal had a bit of a comedy feel to it. Emanuele Giaccherini slipped easily past Patrice Evra before sending a low ball into the United area. The ball should’ve been easily dealt with, but instead United’s defense went to pieces. Phil Jones scuffed his clearance, sending it straight to Nemanja Vidic. The Serbian managed to bang the ball against his standing leg, with the bounce falling perfectly for Gardner. The Sunderland man didn’t hesitate, whipping his low shot past David De Gea and into the bottom corner.
It’s a dream start against United for interim manager Kevin Ball, who’s tasked with the immense job of guiding Sunderland up from dead last. Currently the Black Cats have just one point, and while a win won’t lift them out of the relegation zone, it would certainly lift their spirits.
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 0
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 0
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles (video) 0
- Arsenal 2-0 Hull City: Bendtner and Ozil keep Gunners top (video) 0
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw 20
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (19)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (14)