Oct 5, 2013, 12:47 PM EDT
Craig Gardner has Sunderland off to a dream start at the Stadium of Light, scoring against Manchester United after just five minutes!
Gardner’s goal had a bit of a comedy feel to it. Emanuele Giaccherini slipped easily past Patrice Evra before sending a low ball into the United area. The ball should’ve been easily dealt with, but instead United’s defense went to pieces. Phil Jones scuffed his clearance, sending it straight to Nemanja Vidic. The Serbian managed to bang the ball against his standing leg, with the bounce falling perfectly for Gardner. The Sunderland man didn’t hesitate, whipping his low shot past David De Gea and into the bottom corner.
It’s a dream start against United for interim manager Kevin Ball, who’s tasked with the immense job of guiding Sunderland up from dead last. Currently the Black Cats have just one point, and while a win won’t lift them out of the relegation zone, it would certainly lift their spirits.
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 Vancouver Whitecaps (video) 0
- MLS Snapshot: Orlando City SC 5-2 Columbus Crew SC (video) 0
- MLS Snapshot: D.C. United 6-4 Real Salt Lake (video) 0
- Premier League friendly roundup: Man City lose in Germany, Liverpool win in Finland 0
- Brendan Rodgers says $50 million for Christian Benteke was a bargain 0
- Saturday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Berbatov to Villa, Rahman to Chelsea 1