Oct 5, 2013, 12:47 PM EDT
Craig Gardner has Sunderland off to a dream start at the Stadium of Light, scoring against Manchester United after just five minutes!
Gardner’s goal had a bit of a comedy feel to it. Emanuele Giaccherini slipped easily past Patrice Evra before sending a low ball into the United area. The ball should’ve been easily dealt with, but instead United’s defense went to pieces. Phil Jones scuffed his clearance, sending it straight to Nemanja Vidic. The Serbian managed to bang the ball against his standing leg, with the bounce falling perfectly for Gardner. The Sunderland man didn’t hesitate, whipping his low shot past David De Gea and into the bottom corner.
It’s a dream start against United for interim manager Kevin Ball, who’s tasked with the immense job of guiding Sunderland up from dead last. Currently the Black Cats have just one point, and while a win won’t lift them out of the relegation zone, it would certainly lift their spirits.
- Preview: Early cycle friendly shelves normal questions for U.S. national team’s return 1
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – The faith-destroying edition 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: LA Galaxy’s Landon Donovan 0
- What tomorrow’s goalkeeper platoon tells us about the U.S. goalkeeper void 6
- Jozy Altidore to captain U.S. Wednesday against Czech Republic 1
- With Radamel Falcao, can Manchester United challenge for the Premier League? 14