Oct 5, 2013, 5:02 PM EST
Big matches and big decisions from the men in the middle – they are happening every week with playoff races that are historically tight. Eight teams remain eligible for the playoffs in the East, and eight teams remain eligible in the West.
Round 32 has already given us a big choice. Referee Drew Fischer ruled “no call” on a huge, potential handball inside Houston’s penalty area during last night’s match in Houston.
Dynamo defender Bobby Boswell definitely raised his arm as Montreal’s Davy Arnaud directed a shot on goal from close range. And the ball definitely struck Boswell in the arm (in a match the Dynamo would eventually close out, 1-0).
But where was his arm relative to his body? And there’s the rub. If it’s tucked inside, in more or less a “natural” position, or if it appears the ball would have struck a defending player somewhere else if his arm wasn’t in the way, most referees will play it conservatively and not blow the whistle.
In this case … it’s pretty iffy.
Or not. Not to Arnaud at the Impact, that is. Montreal trailed at the time, 1-0, and was pressing Houston for the equalizer.
It was a tough call for Fischer. There’s probably enough there to whistle handball, since Boswell did, in fact, raise his arm. (That is, it didn’t just strike his arm; he put his arm in a different position.)
It probably was a handball – but it’s far from the worst call we’ll see this weekend. You can decide for yourself here:
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw 12
- How well did Major League Soccer’s format work in 2013? Few qualms with this year’s results 7
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Here’s how it’s going to work 1
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States 14
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three 11
- Meet the Premier League’s other U.S. international goalkeeper: Cody Cropper 5
- Premier League Preview: Manchester United v. Everton 1
- Debunking the myth of Real Salt Lake, Sporting Kansas City as bitter rivals 2
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (19)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (16)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (14)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)