Oct 5, 2013, 9:27 AM EST
Cardiff look to build on last week’s victory over Fulham with a win over Newcastle today (10 am ET, watch live online via NBC Sports Live Extra). The visitors come to Cardiff City Stadium anxious for a result, after having lost their last two Premier League matches.
If Newcastle can take any positives from their play in the last two weeks, it’s that at least they’ve scored a few goals. Oh, and rather than let the other side come back and take all three points, as happened against Hull two weeks ago, the Magpies at least staged a comeback last week at Everton, with Yohan Cabaye and Loic Remy scoring in the second half. The Toffees still walked away with the win, but perhaps Alan Pardew jotted down a few take away points? He’s replacing Hatem Ben Arfa and Vurnon Anita with Papiss Cisse and Yohan Cabaye, while Mike Williamson steps on in place of Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa.
The hosts, sitting just a point above Newcastle, will be flying high after a last-minute goal from Jordan Mutch lifted them above Fulham last weekend, giving Cardiff their second win of the season. Mutch stays on the bench, however, with Cardiff unchanged from last week’s lineup. The Bluebirds will be hoping that Newcastle didn’t learn too much from their last two defeats, as they’ll be looking to take advantage of one of the leakiest defenses in the league.
Cardiff Starting XI: Marshall; Taylor, Caulker, Turner, Theophile-Catherine; Medel, Whittingham, Kim, Gunnarsson, Odemwingie; Campbell
Substitutes: Lewis; Hudson, Noone, Mutch, Cowie, Maynard, Bellamy
Newcastle Starting XI: Krul; Debuchy, Williamson, Coloccini, Santon; Cabaye, Tiote, Sissoko; Gouffran, Cissé, Remy
Substitutes: Elliot, Yanga-Mbiwa, Dummett, Anita, Gutierrez, Ben Arfa, Sammy Ameobi
- Chelsea’s Samuel Eto’o set for move to Major League Soccer 0
- UEFA Champions League Preview: Manchester United, Bayern Munich look to finish group stage on top 0
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014