Oct 5, 2013, 9:39 AM EST
Aston Villa hope to build on back-to-back Premier League wins as they travel to take on Hull City at KC Stadium (10 am ET, watch live online via NBC Sports Live Extra). The Tigers sit just one point above Villa in the table, their ten points beating out Villa’s nine.
It’s been a fun season for Hull this far, with Steve Bruce’s side defying almost everyone’s expectations to reach eighth place, after six rounds played. The Premier League newcomers are unbeaten in their last three league matches, and have lost only to Chelsea and Manchester City.
Villa, meanwhile, didn’t lose to Manchester City, surprising everyone (including, most likely, themselves) by coming from behind to beat the Citizens 3-2 last weekend. When you consider that Villa are without star striker Christian Benteke, that victory is all the more impressive for Paul Lambert‘s men.
The visitors come to the KC Stadium still without Benteke, but with Karim El Ahmadi, Leandro Bacuna and Andi Weimann all getting on the scoresheet for Villa. All three retain their places in the starting lineup. Gabby Agbonlahor and Ashley Westwood both return from injury and retake their places as starters.
Meanwhile, Hull are without Robbie Brady, with the midfieder out for a month following a hernia operation. The 21 year old has already scored four times in seven matches, and with the Tigers only notching six times in six league matches, it’s difficult to imagine they’ll be putting up high numbers this weekend. It’s Stephen Quinn that will take his place, knowing full well he’d better get his scoring boots on.
Aston Villa Starting XI: Guzan, Bacuna, Vlaar, Clark, El Ahmadi, Westwood, Weimann, Luna, Delph, Agbonlahor, Kozak
Substitutes: Steer, Baker, Herd, Bennett, Bowery, Tonev, Sylla
Hull City Starting XI: McGregor; Rosenior, Figueroa, Faye, Davies; Huddlestone, Livermore, Elmohamady, Quinn; Aluko, Graham
Substitutes: Harper, Bruce, McShane, Meyler, Boyd, Sagbo, Proschwitz
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (15)
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit