Oct 6, 2013, 9:22 AM EST
Chelsea and Southampton both scored goals in the first 15 minutes to put their teams on top 1-0 at the halftime break of the early Sunday matches.
The trailing teams Norwich City and Swansea both slowly built more and more of an attack as the halves went on, but have not yet found the chance to bring them level.
The two matches have been eerily similar, with the leading sides dominating early but fading a bit heading into the break.
The goal came in the third minute, and temporarily knocked Norwich back, but they worked slowly as the first half went on and managed to nearly level the shot tally before the break.
Southampton’s Adam Lallana smashed home a top-corner strike in the 13th minute to give the home side the lead at St. Marys. It seemed for a moment the goal had doomed Swansea and given the Saints an extra spring in their step, but the visitors have since found their footing.
Nathan Dyer nearly evened things up in the 36th minute, banging a curling effort off the inside of the top corner, and the ball ricocheted out across the face of the goal and away from danger. Michu came close as well in stoppage time of the first half, but he could do no more than head Dyer’s cross directly at Southampton goalkeeper Artur Boruc.
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 1
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"