Oct 6, 2013, 11:43 PM EDT
Darlington Nage gets more than his fair share of love. He was number one on MLS Soccer’s 24 Under 24 list, and whenever he scores a goal like he did tonight in Vancouver (a blast from well beyond the Whitecaps’ penalty area), he usually goes MLS’s version of viral.
Tonight, however, he might not even be a footnote thanks to Camilo Sanvezzo. The Brazilian had already brought his team back once tonight, answering Nagbe’s first half strike with a direct kick in the second. But after Will Johnson’s goal reestablished Portland’s lead, Vancouver’s leading scorer finished what has to be the new Goal of the Year.
Whichever goal was leading the race before, forget it. This is one of the best goals you’ll see. In MLS or otherwise.
Just look how high Camilo gets to meet this ball, his foot possibly over his head by the time the cross gets to him. When he kicks it — and we’re using “kick” in the sense that a material artist would; not in the soccer sense — he hits the ball perfectly, just inside Donovan Rickett’s left post to make it 2-2.
In a game of four really well-struck goals, that’s how the score would stay, though in second half stoppage time, Vancouver were left bemoaning Silviu Petrescu’s swallowed whistle. Give the man credit, Petrescu does manage to stay consistent, even if the Whitecaps had a claim for a potentially game-winning penalty kick.
With the result, Portland’s now within two points of West-leading Real Salt Lake. Vancouver are six points back of fifth place Colorado with three games to play.
- American soccer mourns the death of former MLS player Shawn Kuykendall, 32 0
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 0
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 2
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 1 0
- Arsenal's $64m Midfielder Strikes Out Again
- CR7 is a Superstar Both on and Off the Pitch
- Pareja Could Have Decision Looming at D-Mid
- Quakes Hit 94th Minute Goal to Tie Toluca in CONCACAF CL
- For the Red Bulls, Mistakes are Better Early Than Late
- If Man City Ever Stood a Chance, it’s Right Now
- Strootman Loss Detrimental to Roma
- Rooney Reveals Desire to Captain United and England
- Thistle Manager Sent Off While Playing For His Team's Under-20s
- Is CONCACAF Champions League Format Working Against MLS?