Oct 6, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
After 41 minutes at StubHub Center, the only thing that separated Landon Donovan from his eventual place alone atop Major League Soccer’s career scoring list was a single goal, with his first half double against Chivas USA helping the Galaxy to 5-0 win over their cross-venue rivals and a himself to a share of the all-time goal-scoring mark.
Robbie Keane opened the scoring after five minutes before Donovan doubled LA’s lead in the 23rd minute. Rookie Gyasi Zardes further pried open the floodgates three minutes later, with Donovan’s 134th career MLS goal sending Los Angeles into halftime up 4-0.
Keane’s 15th goal of the season just before full-time completed the romp, but the lasting story will be Donovan’s knocking on the door of history. Coming into the day third on the all-time list, Donovan’s passed DC United legend Jamie Moreno and will have an chance to overtake Cunningham on Oct. 20, when he returns from international duty to face the San Jose Earthquakes.
That leaves us with two weeks to hype this thing up, though that fortnight will go by in a flash. While Donovan’s on international duty with the U.S., people will be so focused on the national team that we’re unlikely to see the tension escalate until days before San Jose’s visit to StubHub.
But by the time Donovan takes the field again in Carson? Expect the Riot Squad and Angel City Brigade to be ready, though with only two regular season games left (San Jose, then Oct. 27 at Seattle), there’s still a chance Donovan’s pursuit could carry over into the 2014 season.
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 1
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 4
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear