Oct 6, 2013, 12:18 AM EDT
What happened in Harrison, N.J., just outside New York: Things went all kind of crazy in the last 10 or so minutes, which featured three goals, including a controversial penalty kick and a 97th minute equalizer that qualifies as “ridiculously late.” There was also an ejection during that time, leaving New England a man down. Tim Cahill’s RLG (ridiculously late goal) in stoppage time put New York into the playoffs, officially, in a 2-2 draw at Red Bull Arena.
What happened in Chester, Penn., just outside Philadelphia: Kleberson, a Brazilian World Cup veteran who has been an absolute bust for the Union, finally got his first MLS goal. And what timing! His stoppage time free kick might – just might – get Philadelphia into the playoffs. It was the late, late, late game-winner in a 1-0 victory over Toronto at PPL Park (pictured above).
What happened in Sandy, Utah, just outside Salt Lake City: FC Dallas had a man advantage for more than 70 minutes at Real Salt Lake, a virtual lifeline for Dallas when three points was a near-must to retain realistic playoff hopes. But 10-man RSL actually scored first; Dallas got an equalizer, but an eventual 1-1 draw at Rio Tinto will probably see Dallas out of this epic league-wide playoff chase.
What happened in Commerce City, Colorado, just outside Denver: Talk about your mountain ambushes! The Rapids put four past Seattle in the first 40 minutes – and almost had more than that but for the crossbar and some fast hands from Sounders goalkeeper Michael Gspurning. The barrage included Deshorn Brown’s goal just 14 seconds into the match, the second fastest goal in MLS history. Seattle rallied a bit after the break, but a side that had been undefeated in seven matches fell in suburban Denver, 5-1.
Here are highlights of the dominant Rapids performance:
- MLS Roundup: Sporting climbs to first in East; RSL stays undefeated 0
- Late Martins goal gives Seattle full points at Chivas USA (video) 0
- Grabavoy winner prolongs Portland’s agony against Real Salt Lake (video) 0
- Pérez’s late goal gives FC Dallas 2-1 win over Toronto FC (video) 2
- D.C. United takes a point out of Columbus, but referee has some explaining to do (video) 1
- Late strike from Manneh allows Vancouver to salvage a point against LA Galaxy (video) 1