Oct 6, 2013, 12:18 AM EST
What happened in Harrison, N.J., just outside New York: Things went all kind of crazy in the last 10 or so minutes, which featured three goals, including a controversial penalty kick and a 97th minute equalizer that qualifies as “ridiculously late.” There was also an ejection during that time, leaving New England a man down. Tim Cahill’s RLG (ridiculously late goal) in stoppage time put New York into the playoffs, officially, in a 2-2 draw at Red Bull Arena.
What happened in Chester, Penn., just outside Philadelphia: Kleberson, a Brazilian World Cup veteran who has been an absolute bust for the Union, finally got his first MLS goal. And what timing! His stoppage time free kick might – just might – get Philadelphia into the playoffs. It was the late, late, late game-winner in a 1-0 victory over Toronto at PPL Park (pictured above).
What happened in Sandy, Utah, just outside Salt Lake City: FC Dallas had a man advantage for more than 70 minutes at Real Salt Lake, a virtual lifeline for Dallas when three points was a near-must to retain realistic playoff hopes. But 10-man RSL actually scored first; Dallas got an equalizer, but an eventual 1-1 draw at Rio Tinto will probably see Dallas out of this epic league-wide playoff chase.
What happened in Commerce City, Colorado, just outside Denver: Talk about your mountain ambushes! The Rapids put four past Seattle in the first 40 minutes – and almost had more than that but for the crossbar and some fast hands from Sounders goalkeeper Michael Gspurning. The barrage included Deshorn Brown’s goal just 14 seconds into the match, the second fastest goal in MLS history. Seattle rallied a bit after the break, but a side that had been undefeated in seven matches fell in suburban Denver, 5-1.
Here are highlights of the dominant Rapids performance:
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Watch Live: Sporting Kansas City at Seattle Sounders (Lineups and discussion) 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- Sunderland Boss Poyet Challenges Altidore to Prove Him Wrong
- 2014 MLS Season: Hoping & Fearing with Montreal Impact
- Top Four Serie A Teams to Meet in Couple of Crucial Encounters
- Liverpool Eyeing Valencia Midfielder Dani Parejo
- Barca Have $83M for Transfers Plus Funds Raised from Sold Players
- What am I Watching?: The Paradox of the National Team
- Preview: Seattle Sounders vs Sporting Kansas City
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keep Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla