Oct 7, 2013, 4:30 PM EST
Besides the 3-2 loss at Juventus on Sunday, the most recent AC Milan game will have painful repercussions for the Rossoneri for a few weeks. On Monday, the league handed defender Philippe Mexes a four-game suspension and mandated that the club play its next home match behind closed doors.
In the official release, Serie A officials detailed Mexes’ punch to the neck on Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini, seen upon retroactive review of television footage. Referee Gianluca Rocchi eventually sent Mexes off for two cautionable offenses, but neither he nor his assistants saw Mexes punch Chiellini.
The league decided to suspend Mexes three games for the incident inside the AC Milan penalty area on a corner kick, along with the automatic one-game ban for the red card.
On top of Mexes’ suspension, the league required AC Milan to play one match behind closed doors and pay a €50,000 fine for racist chanting “a few minutes before the start of the match, [and at] the 6th and the 43rd minutes of the second half.” The chants were geographically discriminatory in nature, according to the league release.
Earlier this season, Milan already received punishment for racist chants at a home game and was forced to partially close its stadium. That happened at a 2-1 home loss to Napoli on Sept. 22, in which Mario Balotelli was also sent off and handed a three-game suspension afterward.
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 0
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 0
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles (video) 0
- Arsenal 2-0 Hull City: Bendtner and Ozil keep Gunners top (video) 0
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw 19
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (19)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (14)