Oct 8, 2013, 7:54 PM EDT
So much has happened in Jurgen Klinsmann’s time in charge of the men’s national team, hasn’t it? Players have risen high and fallen hard – sometime the very same player! Jozy Altidore and Brek Shea, for instance.
The fall and rise of Landon Donovan during Klinsmann’s time could be the next compelling Showtime drama.
During the affable German’s time in charge, the whole program teetered on the brink (depending on how deep you believe the fissures of February and March were) and then rallied spectacularly (Can we talk about that 12-game winning streak?).
There have been famous wins (victories at Mexico, at Italy spring immediately to mind), some beautifully surreal scenes (the Snow Clasico, of course) and the big hammer of accomplishment, qualifying for the World Cup with a full two games to spare.
There have also been moments worth of self-examination (losses in Jamaica last year and Honduras this year) and some uncomfortable times (moving on from the Carlos Bocanegra era, and Altidore’s eventually useful benching, for instance). The fusillades of media criticism were arriving in force for a while, mostly attached to stylistic concerns: The high pressure and pacey tiki taka may have trotted here and there, but never quite seemed to take hold and run completely free at full stride.
The point today is this …
How is it possible that all of this has happened in just a little over two years? But this is, for the record, the anniversary of Klinsmann’s first win. On this date waaaaay back in 2011, a 1-0 result against Honduras at Miami’s Sun Life Stadium became the first of 25 wins under the current U.S. manager.
Here is a quick rundown from U.S. Soccer on what has been accomplished in the interim, in the 24 months since Klinsmann got his debut victory as U.S. manager.
- Report: AZ Alkmaar speaking with Werder Bremen about Aron Johannsson 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 4
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 8
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 6
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 4
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1