Oct 8, 2013, 7:17 PM EDT
Interesting that today is for some reason a hotbed for Arsenal transfer news.
With MLS Soccer already reporting that the Gunners could be seriously considering a move for Aston Villa’s Brad Guzan, Arsene Wenger has made some very interesting comments about Atletico Madrid’s Diego Costa.
Wenger very rarely comments on other clubs’ players, but he has done so by praising the “animal” that is Diego Costa.
Discussing Atletico’s outstanding start to the season, Wenger said, “They have really good players in midfield and of course there is Diego Costa. This guy is an animal, he can score in any situation.”
Off to a ridiculous start in La Liga, the 25-year-old striker has 10 goals already in eight Primera Division matches, with wins in all eight. They’re tied with Barcelona at the top of the table, only behind on goal difference thanks to the Catalan giants’ absolute tear.
The key to all this is that Wenger very rarely speaks openly about players of another club (aside from helping reporters to preview upcoming opponents).
Arsenal were also linked to Costa in the summer transfer window as a backup to Gonzalo Higuain (neither of which ended up materializing). Liverpool were rumored to have swooped in at one point as well but the Spaniard remained in Madrid.
Atletico will no doubt do their best to keep Costa. Given his torrid start, he’s essential to retaining their Champions League place next season. In addition, they’ve failed to keep their best attacking players over the past few seasons, having no choice but to sell strikers Falcao and Sergio Aguero to bigger, richer clubs over the past three years.
- Europa League Preview: Everton head to Russia, Spurs host Besiktas 0
- Report: Diego Maradona nearing deal to manage Palestinian National Team 1
- Three things we learned after Liverpool’s latest defeat, this time vs. Basel 5
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Arsenal cruise, Liverpool lose, Real Madrid win 1
- Arsenal 4-1 Galatasaray: Welbeck’s hat-trick leads 10-man Arsenal to victory 0
- Hat-Trick Hero: Danny Welbeck nails three in thumping of Galatasaray 1