Luis Suarez insists he’s a lot calmer now

Oct 8, 2013, 9:14 PM EDT

Uruguay's Suarez participates in team training at team's headquarters in the outskirts of Montevideo Reuters

Luis Suarez feels he is a changed man.

Chatting with reporters ahead of Uruguay’s ahead of their World Cup qualifiers, Suarez said: “I am aware that in recent matches that I played I’ve been calmer.

“I am very self-critical and I realized that playing well, with more tranquility, is helping me a lot. I realize and I prefer to continue and not be the same as before.”

Sounds like the 10 match suspension must have worked – chalk one up for the English FA.

While it’s good to hear Suarez claiming he’s a changed man it’s something that many fans will be eager to see beyond the three games he’s played since returning from the ban.

The desire to change and become a more tranquil person is a good thing. We’ll just see if that’s the case when Liverpool are down 2-1 in the 85th minute and a Champions League spot is on the line. Those are the moments when, no matter how much he’s changed, the dog will be begging to come out.

Last weekend Suarez pulled the interesting move of having his young daughter and newborn son accompany him onto the pitch during the procession. It was a scene that pessimists deemed to be a PR stunt by the sharps at Liverpool Football Club to compel audiences to soften on their view of Suarez.

The theory was intriguing to me. On Tuesday, Suarez addressed the situation in his chat with reporters, his response indicating that the move was solely his decision and not the clubs.

“In England it is not common and the first club people told me I was not going to go with them but I told them that my children were going to come with me, like it or not. They understood in the end and it was a nice moment, a unique moment for me. My family make me think hard and calm me. Nowadays I think a lot of them when I’m on the pitch.”

For Suarez, the moment apparently came down to wanting to give his very best for his children. “I wanted my son to live as I do. I suffered a lot as a child and I do not want my children, or any other child, to experience the circumstances as I did. As a parent I try to give them all the love in the world and all the best.”

The complexities continue.

Latest Posts
  1. Serbian boss: Freddy Adu sought by Europa, UCL clubs in Serbia, Cyprus

Jul 24, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT

150px-FK_Jagodina_Emblem

Goran Milanovic is hoping the former American prodigy chooses to revitalize his career with FK Jagodina in the Serbian top flight.

2. Report: Jay DeMerit set to call it a career; ‘Caps to get relief

Jul 24, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT

Colorado Rapids v Vancouver Whitecaps FC Getty Images

One of the best stories is United States men’s soccer history is about to move past the “playing career” chapter.

3. Where does Frank Lampard’s signing rank in MLS history of mega-deals?

Jul 24, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT

Frank Lampard

How big of a deal is the Chelsea legend signing for New York City FC? It’s up there.

4. Frank Lampard delighted to sign for New York City FC, start MLS adventure

Jul 24, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT

Source: New York City FC Source: New York City FC

Lampard: “I want to test myself, carry on challenging myself, I want to be that leader and that person on and off the pitch that can make things happen for this club.”

5. WATCH: It’s not so hard — Louis van Gaal gives simple shooting lesson

Jul 24, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT

Manchester United v Los Angeles Galaxy Getty Images

The Manchester United boss proves that even Premier League training sessions sometimes echo your experiences on a youth travel team.

6. WATCH: Daniel Sturridge joins NBCSN crew, talks Liverpool expectations

Jul 24, 2014, 10:09 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 10.08.13 AM

The Reds striker spends some time with the NBCSN broadcast crew during Liverpool and AS Roma’s ‘Football at Fenway’

7. Swansea snares Jefferson Montero from Liga MX in big time coup

Jul 24, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT

http://www.swanseacity.net/ http://www.swanseacity.net/

The Ecuadorian star winger, 24, joins Gylfi Sigurdsson and Bafetimbi Gomis as players to beef up Garry Monk’s attack

8. Pro-Palestinian protestors attack Israeli players on pitch in Austria

Jul 24, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT

photoshot photoshot

The growing mess in Israel carried over onto the soccer fields of Austria, where Maccabi Haifa played a preseason friendly against Lille.

9. “Embarrassed” in LA, thrilled in Manchester: Reactions to 7-0 beatdown

Jul 24, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT

Jaime Penedo, Wayne Rooney AP

Almost 90,000 fans in Los Angeles watched Manchester United put an old-fashioned punking on their hosts. And then both sides reacted.

10. Better Deal: Sigurdsson and cash or Vorm and Davies?

Jul 23, 2014, 11:27 PM EDT

Tottenham Hotspur v Everton - Premier League Getty Images

Surely one of these clubs enjoyed the sweeter side of this deal and here we set out to see who it was.

11. James Milner denies contract offer from City but will stay and fight for his place

Jul 23, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT

Manchester City v Sunderland - Premier League Getty Images

Despite starting only 12 Premier League matches last year, James Milner has decided to remain at Manchester City and fight for his place.

12. Watch Live: Chicago Fire at San Jose Earthquakes (Lineups and Discuss)

Jul 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

Mike Magee

Catch the San Jose Earthquakes and Chicago Fire live on NBCSN and online via Live Extra tonight at 10:30pm ET.

13. Liverpool 0-1 AS Roma: Marco Borriello winner gives Italians victory at Fenway

Jul 23, 2014, 9:43 PM EDT

Philippe Coutinho AP

In a relaxed match featuring over forty players, the difference came in the 89th minute as Marco Borriello knocked home a corner.

14. Croatian club call Manchester City’s racism claim ‘baseless’

Jul 23, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT

Manchester City v SL Benfica UEFA Youth League Quarter Final Getty Images

Rijeka have come forward to say they “clearly and unequivocally reject” City’s allegation of racism.

15. Houston Dynamo land USMNT legend DaMarcus Beasley

Jul 23, 2014, 8:21 PM EDT

DaMarcus Beasley AP

Beasley signed a two-and-a-half-year deal with the Dynamo and becomes the club’s third Designated Player.

16. Watch Live: Liverpool vs. AS Roma (Lineups and Discuss)

Jul 23, 2014, 6:48 PM EDT

Steven Gerrard believes Liverpool will prove themselves champions come next season. Getty Images

Catch Liverpool and AS Roma live on NBCSN and online via Live Extra tonight at 7:00pm ET.

17. USMNT prospect Gedion Zelalem on Arsenal’s roster for Red Bulls match

Jul 23, 2014, 5:49 PM EDT

Gideon Zelalem

Jurgen Klinsmann has long coveted Zelalem and the 17-year old looks to be next in line to don the Stars & Stripes.