Oct 8, 2013, 12:22 PM EST
U.S. Soccer is reporting that United States center-back Omar Gonzalez has been ruled out of the World Cup qualifiers against Jamaica and Panama with a hip injury.
Gonzalez will be replaced by Puebla’s Michael Orozco.
Orozco will join U.S. Men’s National Team camp on Tuesday afternoon in Kansas City after Gonzalez was forced to withdraw with a left hip strain, presumably suffered in the first half of the LA Galaxy’s 5-0 win against Chivas USA on Sunday.
The loss of Gonzalez means that Sporting Kansas City defender Matt Besler and Stoke City’s Geoff Cameron are the most likely central defensive pairing for Friday’s World Cup Qualifier against Jamaica.
The addition of Orozco allows Klinsmann the option of playing Cameron at right-back where he plays for Stoke. In the past, however, Klinsmann has been opposed to such a move, believing that Cameron’s best place on the field is in the center of defense or as a holding midfielder.
Orozco has played five times for the USMNT in 2013, including four appearances in this summer’s CONCACAF Gold Cup title run. Overall, Orozco has reached 10 caps for the Yanks.
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- Venue Guide: Check out where the USA will play at 2014 World Cup in Brazil 5
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"