Oct 8, 2013, 4:58 PM EDT
The report doesn’t expand on the level of interest, even going as far as saying they aren’t sure if the Gunners have spoken to Aston Villa about his availability.
Wojciech Sczcesny was a man with few supporters at the Emirates this summer, but has made a strong case to retain his spot so far this season, doing his part to put Arsenal top of the table in the Barclays Premier League.
Guzan has performed admirably as well at Aston Villa, where he is currently on an 3-match unbeaten run including a win over Manchester City. Guzan and company have allowed just two goals and kept two clean sheets during that span.
At 29 years old, Guzan isn’t old for a goalkeeper, and has plenty of life left in his Premier League career.
The question remains, would Guzan – or any of the others on that list, for that matter – really be an upgrade over the 23-year-old Szczesny, who at such a young age would still have plenty of growing left to do?
The Pole has been overshadowed by the key components of the Arsenal attack, Mesut Ozil and Olivier Giroud, this season. He has, however, made a number of top-drawer saves to keep the Gunners on top of matches this year, despite claiming just one clean sheet.
Given the shaky state of the Arsenal defense, especially in the beginning of the season where Bacary Sagna was forced to play in the middle thanks to so many injuries to the back line, Szczesny’s performance thus far is especially impressive.
Will Arsenal take a liking to the American in the winter? Or will they stick with their current netminder, who continues to impress but can’t seemingly gain the full, everlasting trust of Gunner faithful?
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 3
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs