Oct 8, 2013, 4:12 PM EDT
According to Sports Illustrated’s Grant Wahl as a guest on Fox Soccer Daily, Brad Friedel has flown to Columbus and interviewed for the vacant Crew head coaching position.
Currently under contract with Tottenham Hotspur, Friedel has explicitly indicated that he wishes to enter the coaching ranks after the conclusion of his career, revealing back in June that he was then taking classes to obtain his coaching badges.
A Lakewood, Ohio native, Friedel is under contract at Spurs expires at the end of this season. Given his coaching aspirations it’s certainly possible he has an out in his contract should a desirable coaching position come his way.
The Crew fired Robert Warzycha on September 2nd, and interm manager Brian Bliss has four wins and two losses to his name since taking over.
While not completely out of the race, the Crew have just two matches with New England to get themselves into the playoff picture, needing to make up four points in the process.
Most likely, Bliss will finish out the season and the search for a permanent head coach will not conclude until the season is over.
Friedel will have some serious competition from Bliss for the position, as the club has seen an uptick in form since the coaching change. His only two losses have come against Sporting KC, while beating everyone else (Dallas, Chicago, Montreal, Houston) by a combined 11 goals to 3.
- MLS preview: FC Dallas vs. Sounders, Whitecaps vs. Timbers headline Week 4 0
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 3
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0
- Lionel Messi earns $1.4 million per week, tops Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar as richest player 3
- Morgan Schneiderlin wants Southampton exit if they fail to make UEFA Champions League 4
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo could be fined, suspended for “calm down” celebration 5