Oct 8, 2013, 4:12 PM EDT
According to Sports Illustrated’s Grant Wahl as a guest on Fox Soccer Daily, Brad Friedel has flown to Columbus and interviewed for the vacant Crew head coaching position.
Currently under contract with Tottenham Hotspur, Friedel has explicitly indicated that he wishes to enter the coaching ranks after the conclusion of his career, revealing back in June that he was then taking classes to obtain his coaching badges.
A Lakewood, Ohio native, Friedel is under contract at Spurs expires at the end of this season. Given his coaching aspirations it’s certainly possible he has an out in his contract should a desirable coaching position come his way.
The Crew fired Robert Warzycha on September 2nd, and interm manager Brian Bliss has four wins and two losses to his name since taking over.
While not completely out of the race, the Crew have just two matches with New England to get themselves into the playoff picture, needing to make up four points in the process.
Most likely, Bliss will finish out the season and the search for a permanent head coach will not conclude until the season is over.
Friedel will have some serious competition from Bliss for the position, as the club has seen an uptick in form since the coaching change. His only two losses have come against Sporting KC, while beating everyone else (Dallas, Chicago, Montreal, Houston) by a combined 11 goals to 3.
- Arsenal midfielder Gedion Zelalem about to jump off the U.S. Soccer radar 4
- Stuart Holden out for 6-9 months, as serious injury hits U.S. international once again 3
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s failed UEFA Champions League campaign 1
- Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.) 0
- Two from Diego Costa help Atlético Madrid cruise past Milan in Champions League, 4-1 (5-1, agg.) 0
- ProSoccerTalk’s MLS Team of the Week – Week 1 0
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers