Oct 10, 2013, 8:39 AM EDT
Benteke has not featured for Aston Villa since coming off against Norwich on September 28th after aggravated a hip-flexor injury.
However, with his home country just a point away from clinching a berth to their first World Cup since 2002, Belgium are taking no chances with their status for the 2014 tournament with their upcoming matches against Croatia and Wales.
“I won’t be happy if he plays and comes back to me injured” Lambert said of his top goalscorer a few days ago. “I totally understand Belgium’s point of view. They’re a point away from the biggest tournament at national team level. But you’re hoping they understand our point of view. The guy’s got injured for us.”
The Vila boss did add, “I’ve had a good chat with him and he will know himself what is the right thing for him to do. I trust him. ”
Lambert said that as of this past weekend Benteke was not fit, although that could change by the time the international matches roll around. The Villa boss had originally ruled Benteke out for 4-6 weeks after his original injury.
Would it be smart for Benteke to play tomorrow when Belgium take on Croatia?
- VIDEO: Premier League’s Top 10 goals of the season, from A(dam) to Z(amora) 0
- Premier League final day roundup: 2014-15 season finishes with a flourish 0
- West Ham announce Sam Allardyce will not return as manager 0
- Hull City 0-0 Manchester United: Tigers go down after squandering chances 0
- Newcastle United 2-0 West Ham United: Sissoko, Jonas leave nothing to chance 0
- VIDEO: Theo Walcott’s first-half hat trick will live in Boaz Myhill’s dreams 0