Oct 10, 2013, 2:30 PM EST
Ahead of Friday’s World Cup qualifier against Jamaica, United States head coach Jürgen Klinsmann called three more players into camp: midfielder Brad Davis, defender Clarence Goodson and forward Chris Wondolowski. Wondolowski, who scored five goals in the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup, will replace Eddie Johnson, who picked up a groin injury.
All three players called in saw action with their Major League Soccer clubs on Wednesday. Davis and the Houston Dynamo tied Sporting Kansas City, 0-0, while Wondolowski scored the winning goal in the San Jose Earthquakes’ 1-0 win over the Colorado Rapids. Goodson played the full match for San Jose.
With the U.S. already qualified for the World Cup, more changes could be on the way, as rumors circulate of MLS players requesting release to be with their clubs for weekend matches. Bringing in more players could facilitate that, as San Jose and Houston do not play again until Oct. 20.
Landon Donovan’s Los Angeles Galaxy takes on the Montreal Impact on Oct. 16, a day after the final U.S. qualifier at Panama, and Brad Evans’ Seattle Sounders FC faces an important match at the Portland Timbers on Sunday, two days after the qualifier against Jamaica.
Evans’ club teammate Johnson will face an MRI evaluation on Thursday and a possible return to Seattle, according to a U.S. Soccer press release. With another club teammate, Clint Dempsey, just recovering from his own injury that kept him out of the U.S. camp the team’s situation doesn’t get any easier.
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 16 1
- Manchester United’s Robin van Persie faces lengthy spell out 0
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research hints less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 3
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 3
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park