Oct 10, 2013, 1:41 PM EST
There are doubts that the World Cup qualifier between Spain and Belarus will take place after a generator exploded at the Iberostar Stadium in Spain.
The home of Real Mallorca was scheduled to host the Friday match but with one of three generators out and two people reported to be seriously injured, the status of the game is now in question.
Jorge Carretero, spokesperson for the Spanish national team, said three people were working on the power unit outside the stadium when the explosion occurred, but that he believes it can be fixed in time for the match to take place.
The game is scheduled for 5pm local time Friday (11am ET).
In terms of the competition, it is essential that the match is played at some point. Spain and France are tied at the top of Group I, UEFA’s only 5-team group.
The group’s winner automatically qualifies for the World Cup, while the runner up can attempt to make the playoff round on points total. Spain do have a game in hand on their French counterparts.
Swansea City’s Michu (pictured, left) has been called up to the Spain squad for the first time and was expected to make his debut in the match in some capacity.
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 2
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors (video) 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014