Oct 10, 2013, 10:50 PM EST
Fifty Italian Serie A players took a survey from Gazzetta dello Sport, the results of which were published Thursday and revealed that many of those surveyed had heard a racist comment from a colleague, and depression can also hit professional athletes, among other revelations.
A sample size of 50 isn’t very large, but when 36 percent (18) of those players say they have heard racism from teammates, that number is still too large to be ignored. At the same time, only two of those players said they believe black players face a more difficult career path.
Of those surveyed, 29 said depression is a problem among Serie A players, while 12 admitted to having been depressed during their careers. The most recent high-profile case was national team goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon, who said he went through some “dark periods” in 2003 and 2004.
On the topic of homosexuality, 34 percent of the players surveyed said they thought being openly gay would jeopardize a player’s career. However, three of the 50 said they had played with an openly gay teammate.
The survey comes in a week in which AC Milan was forced to close its stadium for a game due to discriminatory chanting. Italy’s troubles with racism have been well documented in the past year.
Based on the group of 50 players Gazzetta surveyed, the Italian league is not a very tolerant place to play.
- Should Roberto Martinez be starting Gerard Deulofeu? 1
- Chelsea’s Samuel Eto’o set for move to Major League Soccer 3
- UEFA Champions League Preview: Manchester United, Bayern Munich look to finish group stage on top 0
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014