Oct 10, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
It’s been a while since Terrence Boyd was the most hyped United States national team forward. After making seven appearances in 2012 and providing the assist in the U.S.’s 1-0 win at Mexico on Aug. 15, 2012, he has only played twice in 2013 for his country.
With Jozy Altidore‘s summer scoring tear and Aron Jóhannsson choosing to represent the U.S. over Iceland, Boyd has been left on the fringes for a while. He didn’t even get called up for the last round of qualifiers against Costa Rica and Mexico, when the U.S. clinched its World Cup berth.
That hasn’t deterred Boyd from scoring just one less goal than Landon Donovan since July 27, when the Austrian Bundesliga season started. In 13 appearances for Rapid Vienna, across league, cup and Europa League matches, Boyd has scored six goals.
Boyd broke onto the national team scene in 2012, when he scored two goals against El Salvador in the U.S.’s failed Olympic qualification attempt. Then came his call-up to the match at Azteca Stadium, and the promising young prospect seemed to have cemented a spot on head coach Jürgen Klinsmann’s roster.
Boyd faces a tough challenge for playing time against the goal machine Jóhannsson has become for AZ Alkmaar, but continued success at his own current rate should be enough to get the 22-year-old German-American a spot on the plane to Brazil.
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 2
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors (video) 0
- Tim Howard on his stunning display vs. Arsenal, Everton’s good form, tough draw for USA 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014